XVS 250 and XVS 125 engine differences?

Reservoir-dog
This post is 5073 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have unsuccessfully done some googling trying to find out if the xvs 125 share the same engine as the xvs 250 but with smaller barrels and pistons. In other words, if it would be possible to upgrade from 125 to 250 by a bolt on replacement of the lower part of the cylinders. Not that I'm planning to do that I'm just very curious.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Many thanks if you can

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Possible - I believe so.

Practical or cost-effective - I seriously doubt it. You could probably buy a whole 250 for the amount it'd cost to get done. They probably have parts other than the engine which are different, too. I daresay things like the final drive would be made to higher tolerances.

Forget it. Unless the person carry out the mods gets the engineering clearnaces/tolerances/alignments spot on, you'll end up with either an engine with no compression, or it will seize in seconds. There would be a bit more mileage in a straight complete engine swap, but then agian just buy a 250 with no risk.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online