virago 535 1996 fuel pump relay

rd350andy
This post is 5227 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello any electrical gurus, having recently removed the engine to repair the front cylinder head on re-assembly i noticed the missing pump sound for 5 secs when the ignition is switched on. I checked the pump itself which is ok direct to a battery and the engine runs fine after i run the pump straight to a battery but then runs out of fuel in the carbs. I beleive i have located the fuel pump relay which has 4 pins. On checking i think but will re-check later 12v on 2 pins with ignition on, on another pin i buzzed it out to the fuel pump positive input, i see no voltage on this pin on the harness, on the remaing pin i see 6v for 5secs which then drops to ov. I hooked the relay up to a battery and can hear the relay click ok but only ever see a fluctuating low voltage on that pin serving the pump positive leg i.e. 100-500mv. On the two pins i see 12V on the harness with the ignition off both these buzz out to earth ? so im a bit lost as what each pin should have on it, the relay is an Omron device with 25G-01 on it any help much appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

thought i would dig a bit deeper, i tested the relay again this time linking the two pins that connect to harness where i see +12v on each connector then i connected a battery negative terminal to the other pin and the positive to the looped pins. Then a multimeter to the output pin and the same batt -12v. The relay switches and +12V is seen correctly on the pin that would connect to the pump + terminal. So the relay must be ok. I know i see a good +12V on the 2 harness pins where i setup the loop on the relay test so it looks like its the loss of a -12V on the earth pin, this lead on the harness buzzes out to another connector on the igniter unit, is this what controls the relay ? if i loop on the harness one of the +12V pins to the pukp + pin it works correctly. I am wondering now if i simply cut that wire which likes an earth coming from the igniter and simply run a seperate chassis earth to the relay input ? from the test i did that would make it work but not sure if thats stopping any control. Any ideas gratefully recieved .

Just an update, as the fuel pump seems to be controlled via some pressure sensor i.e. not switching on off via the pump relay i went ahead and cut into the -12v feed on the harness input to the relay and wired direct to the chassis earth. This now works curing the fault or should i say bypassing it but as the other plug that was wired to this was on the igniter replacing the igniter is too expensive so hopefully thats that. By the way i cannot find any wiring schema showing any connections to the igniter 4 pin socket anyway ? im thinking someone has replaced some of the electrics previously.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online