Now and electrical issue.

johnsnownw
This post is 5223 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I went out to start the bike this morning and there was no power at all, not even the control panel came on. So, I hooked up the charger and it went from 25% to 75% charged in 30 min. then after 3 hrs it had still not reached the "charged" light. I decided to unhook the charger and take some mutli-meter readings. I am a newbie at this too.

I set the meter to DCV and checked the battery, which gave me a reading of just over 12v. I checked the "earth" and got a similar 12v reading. I then checked the 12v Hitachi ( whatever that thing is just to the rear of the battery on the right side of the bike, and received a negative on the screen of random numbers in the 100ths place. I put the multimeter testers on each of the 2 points where wires were going into the thing.

I then tried to start the bike, and it was trying to start strong a first, but then just started barely making any noise when I hit the ignition button. The control panel lights would also go off when I pressed the button. I tried kick starting it, and no luck.

It should also be noted that the headlight on the bike doesn't come on until the bike starts, and when I checked the turn signals with the key in the "on" position, they did not blink, just stayed on.

I have looked at similar posts concerning electrical issues, but can't really decide on what is wrong with mine.

Thanks for your help,

Aaron

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Also, this is a picture of my fuse box, as you can see it seems to have been modified. The Main fuse looks as if it's blown, but it is not. Not sure if this helps at all.

img1484.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I set the meter to DCV and checked the battery, which gave me a reading of just over 12v. I checked the "earth" and got a similar 12v reading. I then checked the 12v Hitachi ( whatever that thing is just to the rear of the battery on the right side of the bike, and received a negative on the screen of random numbers in the 100ths place. I put the multimeter testers on each of the 2 points where wires were going into the thing.

Nice mod they've done. I threw away my rectifier after testing, don't rem. if it was Hitachi (probably).

But you say tested at 2 wires?? Rectifier should be 4. Otherwise this: http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/electrical_test_images/stator3_test3.jpg

Better yet maybe look over diagram:

Not much help I know :shrug: but am looking forward to a reliable answer on all of this (electrical always appreciated).

Nice mod they've done. I threw away my rectifier after testing, don't rem. if it was Hitachi (probably).

But you say tested at 2 wires?? Rectifier should be 4. Otherwise this: http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/electrical_test_images/stator3_test3.jpg

Better yet maybe look over diagram:

Not much help I know :shrug: but am looking forward to a reliable answer on all of this (electrical always appreciated).

Thanks, any help at all is welcome at this point. I have been able to get the bike started, I decided to take the battery out of the bike to charge it. It went through the cycle I expected, as it took about 5hrs to charge from empty. I don't know why it was having trouble charging properly while in the bike.

I still am unsure why the headlamp only comes on after the bike fires up.

I'm also unsure why the battery was empty in the first place, something is draining it. Though, it was a brand new battery, perhaps it wasn't charged all the way when they put it in?

So confused,

Aaron

when you get the bike going, run a volt meter on the Batt terminals. you should be getting 13 - 14.5 volts at 3k revs. if not i suspect the voltage regulator first

drewps

when you get the bike going, run a volt meter on the Batt terminals. you should be getting 13 - 14.5 volts at 3k revs. if not i suspect the voltage regulator first

drewps

Thanks drewps, I'll give it a go.

Alright, so I decided to remove the old fuse box and replace it with in-line mini blade fuse holders. I replaced them on all 4 lines, and soldered the wires together. Now, surprisingly I did this all correct the first time. It seems to me that after installing them the lights on the bike, and even the ignition seemed stronger. Is this possible, or is it just my imagination?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online