DT175 first bike, need diagnostic help

quinnyost
This post is 5220 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just joined the forum looking for some help. Bought this 1974 DT175 about 3 weeks ago. After a week of riding it it began to get more difficult to start, and then it started cutting out like it wasn't getting enough fuel (or so I thought). I replaced the spark plug and it started right up and ran well for about another week. However yesterday it started cutting out while i was driving it. And now it won't start again. I think I am going to need to replace the spark plug again. But one a week is ridiculous. The plug I took out is all black on the tip, my guess is the oil is running too rich. (but this is my first bike I'll ever work on). What do you guys think could make me run through spark plugs so fast? Do you think the auto lube is running the oil too thick? If so, How can I adjust it so there is less oil?

Thanks, Quinn

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to the forum Quinn, nice intro, dont know anything about your bike m8, Oldgitonabike is your man I think, he'll be along at some point to help, and knows a thing or two, hang in there B)

Few questions to kick off,

condition of the air filter

have you tried cleaning the plug

does the bike smoke (as in continuously not just from cold)

do you know when the exhaust was last cleaned

How does the bike run, apart from the missfire that is. Are the revs nice and controlled or does it feel asthmatic. Does it start easy, does it not need choke at all or just to start, or wont run without it? Do you ride in town a lot or open country?

A black plug is limited as far as info goes, oil supply is very reliable on these old girls and unless some plomker has decided they know better than a multi million pound company reputedly one of the masters of 2 stroke tech that shold be ok.

The carb on the other hand especially if the bike has stood for a while, or the exhaust if it has spent a lot of time in town.

Long way of saying we need a bit more info please.......

Thanks for the response. Here's the answers to your questions.

condition of the air filter - Just looked at the air filter - it's beautiful - clean

have you tried cleaning the plug - I haven't tried cleaning the plug - I was told I can do that though - I'll give that a try, but I want to fix the problem, not just the symptoms ya know?

does the bike smoke (as in continuously not just from cold) - the bike hardly smokes

do you know when the exhaust was last cleaned - I do not know when the exhaust was last cleaned - should I look into cleaning it?

How does the bike run, apart from the missfire that is. Are the revs nice and controlled or does it feel asthmatic. Does it start easy, does it not need choke at all or just to start, or wont run without it? Do you ride in town a lot or open country? - no the revs are NOT nice and controlled, that's exactly how I would describe it like the bike has asthma. When it has a new spark plug it'll star first kick even after sitting for a week. The choke is necessary to start it, but after its warm is fine. However, the bike doesn't like to idle. I've adjusted the idle a few time and can't make her happy. It will idle sometimes if its really warm and has been ridin for a while. However, most of the time I don't even bother letting her die down too much cause i dont want her dying at a light.

The carb on the other hand especially if the bike has stood for a while, or the exhaust if it has spent a lot of time in town. - i just bought the bike, he said he was riding it to work a few times a week. I'll ride it almost everyday in town (if its running). Should I look into cleaning the carb?

I appreciate the help

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online