it goes! at last

pepperami
This post is 5095 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

not been on here a lot lately, but some of you might know that i have an XS400 1980 bitsa.

Well yesterday i and a very knowledgable friend finally got the damm thing to run on both cylinders AND tick over :).

i serviced the carbs using brake cleaner and re-using parts that looked in good order :icon_eek: not a good idea! as it ran like it was sucking porridge rather than petrol.

so ater that we had the carb put in the sonic tank? while i got a complete carb overhaul kit and new jets.

i read a thread on here about what size jets to use and the original ones were not the same.

when that was all done and put back on the bike things were a bit better :) but still not right.

so now we started on the timing and the points (spent half an hour looking for a short, then realised the kill switch was still on) :lol:

so new points and the coils have been tested = all ok!

we set the points according to the book and nothing? so we retarded it by a small margin and Bingo! dont ask me but it works and I`m leaving it like that as it works.

tank back on, points cover back on and nothing?????....... points cover off to check nothing has moved and bingo it works a treat!

points cover back on and nothing :angry2: Hmmmmmm! then i look at my box of spare junk and i notice that i have a spare points cover that is slightly different ie it has fins and the space inside is just a little bit bigger...... i put that on and bingo all is well :)

so now it is firing on both pots, ticks over , lights work, and stops :) .

just a few more checks to make sure that i hav`nt missed anything and i will be off to the MOT station!

Many thanks to all who have posted XS400 threads and solutions, you dont know it but you have helped me a lot :)

Drewpy gets a mention in dispatches :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

good to hear your doing ok with the bike. It can be fustrating sometimes, but that is part of its charm B)

great when it all works and you have done it yourself :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online