1980 xs 400 engine issues.

johnsnownw
This post is 5227 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So here's the issue I'm having with the bike. It will idle in neutral quite well, however if you stop while it's in gear it will tend to die. It starts up just fine after it dies, but pretty much dies every time you stop while in gear. The engine also rides quite rough at lower RPM's but is noticeably smoother at higher RPM's. Anyone have any thoughts? I did notice that when I took the air filters out that one looked fine, had all it's "funny fur," while the other had absolutely no funny fur, other than on the edges where it was glued to the metal filter housing.

Should I even attempt to fix the problem before the new air filters that I ordered arrive, or is the lack of funny fir on one of the filters not enough to cause an issue such that I'm having?

Thanks for your input,

Aaron

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What's the idle speed when idling in neutral?

Does the clutch disengage smoothly?

Does it tend to get slower and slower until it dies, or does it stop abruptly?

I can't believe the air filters would affect this that much.

What's the idle speed when idling in neutral?

Does the clutch disengage smoothly?

Does it tend to get slower and slower until it dies, or does it stop abruptly?

I can't believe the air filters would affect this that much.

The clutch had been disengaging smoothly for me, but my fiance seemed to have trouble putting it into first when she was stopped. Other gears it goes through like butter.

Idle speed in neutral is usually around 1000 rpms, I know it should be about 1200, but I wasn't sure if I should really mess with the idle screw when essentially missing one of the air filters.

I should say that most of the time it gets slower and slower, but it does that very quickly. Also, I've noticed that it will idle (in neutral) around 1000 rpms, then drop, then rev up a bit, back to around 1000.

I'd tend to lean towards clutch drag.

make sure its adjusted at the engine side first.

there is another thread about this which, quite frankly, has been done to death

I'd tend to lean towards clutch drag.

make sure its adjusted at the engine side first.

there is another thread about this which, quite frankly, has been done to death

Thanks, hadn't considered it being the clutch. I'll have to search for that on the forum. I suppose I should wait to do the work until my Haynes manual gets here.

Aaron

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online