Rattle

martiniman
This post is 5222 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, i have a slight rattle at certain speeds coming from the front of the bike. At first i put it down to my L plate rattling on the bracket but now i doubt it is. It seems to stop when you pull the clutch in. But i still have a hunch it comes from some kind of vibration as its not there all the time only at certain speeds. Any idea of anything i could check before resorting to a garage.

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all, i have a slight rattle at certain speeds coming from the front of the bike. At first i put it down to my L plate rattling on the bracket but now i doubt it is. It seems to stop when you pull the clutch in. But i still have a hunch it comes from some kind of vibration as its not there all the time only at certain speeds. Any idea of anything i could check before resorting to a garage.

Cheers

Just a thought, maybe its the clutch cable vibrating in the wind etc. when you pull it and add tension it would help keep it still. Only a crazy thought.

Vez.

Its probably 'harmonics' for a full explanation of this anomoly PM KAREN_ALCATRAZ ;)

could be the rubber in chrome plates on top of ur cylinders has worn so it makes them rattle. but could be absolutely anything! best to go round the bike and check all the bolts and panels to see if there loose.

dont suppose if you know if its just at a certain speed you get the rattle or if its at a certain rpm?

if it rattles at a certain rpm then something is loose but if it only rattles at a certain speed then most likely its the sound of the air (turbalance) rushing past the bike. similar to what happens when u spin a hose pipe round you get that sound(vibration) then that in turn could touch something else causing a "rattle". for example your clutch cable touching part of the bike?

hope this helps. :D

could be the rubber in chrome plates on top of ur cylinders has worn so it makes them rattle. but could be absolutely anything! best to go round the bike and check all the bolts and panels to see if there loose.

dont suppose if you know if its just at a certain speed you get the rattle or if its at a certain rpm?

if it rattles at a certain rpm then something is loose but if it only rattles at a certain speed then most likely its the sound of the air (turbalance) rushing past the bike. similar to what happens when u spin a hose pipe round you get that sound(vibration) then that in turn could touch something else causing a "rattle". for example your clutch cable touching part of the bike?

hope this helps. :D

Some good advice from you all. Yes i will check the above, not sure if its a certain speed or rpm i dont have a rev counter so its a little tricky that one, i will keep an eye out to see if a pattern starts to show up. One thing i am starting to think its normally in second gear. (this worries me!)

Oh one more thing! Could adjusting the Clutch cable help, i needed to do it anyway as there was loads of free play on the clutch leaver anyway when i tightened it up the rattle improved, odd!

Cheers

Martiniman

Right been out tonight and took special notice as to when the rattle seems to be there. Its not really when engine under load its when i come off the power, duno if i can just hear it more as the engine is quiet, still tho that's when i can hear it. As for gears, speed, or RPM duno i herd it in 2nd and 3rd so dont think that makes a difference. I will have a good look round the bike for anything loose but i still think that the clutch cable is the best lead.

Cheers

There seems to be a problem with these.

this dragstar has a couple of rattles on the front end

dragstar-rattle.jpg

Right been out tonight and took special notice as to when the rattle seems to be there. Its not really when engine under load its when i come off the power, duno if i can just hear it more as the engine is quiet, still tho that's when i can hear it. As for gears, speed, or RPM duno i herd it in 2nd and 3rd so dont think that makes a difference. I will have a good look round the bike for anything loose but i still think that the clutch cable is the best lead.

Cheers

yeah just tighten up the clutch cable and see how it goes as to the rpm or speed question if you can hear it in every gear at differant speeds then its to do with rpm (somethin loose) but if its only at a certain speed then its turbulance, just check it over if uv still got it after doin the clutch. but hopefully it should sort it out. :D

There seems to be a problem with these.

this dragstar has a couple of rattles on the front end

nice colour drewpy! shame i could only get the balck :(

dragstar-rattle.jpg

Try the headlight. There are some countersunk screws inside that secure the parts together, if loose they produce a tinny rattle but not all the time, depends on revs and whether or not youre coming off the gas. Look closely at Drewpys' photo :lol: and you can just see one of the slots on the lamp

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online