Just purchased a 1980 XS 400 special

johnsnownw
This post is 5227 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone,

A few questions about the bike:

1. Is there a problem with switching to a synthetic oil?

2. Are most of the parts, sans engine specific, for the XS650 compatible with my bike? Asking specifically because of the site MikesXS.

3. What modification to modern parts has had the most impact on your classic XS?

Thanks everyone, I'm new to this whole classic/DIY motorcycle business.

Regards,

Aaron

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey everyone,

A few questions about the bike:

1. Is there a problem with switching to a synthetic oil?

yes, the clutch will slip, use semi synth if your keen

2. Are most of the parts, sans engine specific, for the XS650 compatible with my bike? Asking specifically because of the site MikesXS.

not always, some carb stuff, some brakes and switches may be compatible also can be said re SR range

3. What modification to modern parts has had the most impact on your classic XS?

braided brake lines, modern pad material and R1 engine (last one was not serious)

yes, the clutch will slip, use semi synth if your keen

not always, some carb stuff, some brakes and switches may be compatible also can be said re SR range

braided brake lines, modern pad material and R1 engine (last one was not serious)

Thanks for the info. I had no idea about the SR range.

The way the bike is acting it seems like I may have to do some carb work, so I'm glad I can get at least some of the parts from MikesXS.

Where did you purchase the braided brake lines, or did you fabricate them yourself?

Aaron

Don't know where you are, but if in the U.S., I suggest using heavy duty oil intended for diesels. Shell Rotella T or Mobil Delvac are good. Auto oil has friction modifiers that will have a tendency to make wet clutches slip (even semi and non-synthetics have these). HD diesel oils do not and they have goos additive packages including plenty of zinc to prevent wear. If you use motorcycle oil intended for wet clutches, you can use synthetic- but that is much pricier than HD diesel oil.

Don't know where you are, but if in the U.S., I suggest using heavy duty oil intended for diesels. Shell Rotella T or Mobil Delvac are good. Auto oil has friction modifiers that will have a tendency to make wet clutches slip (even semi and non-synthetics have these). HD diesel oils do not and they have goos additive packages including plenty of zinc to prevent wear. If you use motorcycle oil intended for wet clutches, you can use synthetic- but that is much pricier than HD diesel oil.

I live in Minneapolis.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have no idea what's in the bike now as, I assume, they put new oil in it at the salvage/used bike seller I purchased it from. The oil looks pretty clean in the circular view glass.

Where did you purchase the braided brake lines, or did you fabricate them yourself?

Aaron

got them from HEL

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online