Wife's XS400... Update 5-26-10

Ebola Monkey
This post is 4933 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I got all of my parts in from MikesXS, Vintage Connections, and ebay.

Electrical:

Started on the burned up wiring harness. Replaced every charred wire, and connector. Connected the fuse block off the ebay SECA harness I bought with an 8 pin connector. This way when it breaks (it's brittle) I can buy a new one from MikesXS, and just plug it in. Went to pods so I rearranged most of the wiring so the connectors are all easily access the plugs for almost everything behind the left side cover.

Carbs:

As mentioned went with pods (Emgo). Went from 135 main to 137.5, and from 42.5 pilot to 45. Replaced the float valve needles with ones from ebay, but had to remove the clip that attaches them to the floats. They wouldn't seat with them on. I'm guessing this isn't normal. Also replaced the float valve o-rings, as well as the pilot mixture screw o-rings (set to 2.5 turns out on both). Cleaned everything else from top to bottom. Also replaced both carb holders, and gaskets.

Result:

Took it for a ride around the neighborhood. Only got up to about 40, and only rode for about 15 minutes. I don't know what a well tuned xs400 should feel like, but it seemed to pull pretty well. I didn't rev the hell out of it (5k tops probably), but could tell it wants to pull more after about 4k. Toward the end of the ride I noticed that it wasn't dropping to idle right away. It would hold a bit of a rev for a second, then drop. About an hour later I started it up again. That time it wouldn't idle. If I kept revving it, it would run, but if I let it idle it would drop to 800rpms or so, then die. I haven't balanced the carbs yet, but I don't think that's the problem. I didn't get the meter out, but noticed the headlight REALLY lit up when I gave it some gas. I'll have to check that tomorrow.

Recap:

1982 XS400SJ (heritage)

Pods

137.5 Main

45 Pilot

2.5 turns out on both mixture screws

I'm getting to the point where I'm running out of knowledge. I could really use some advice from those of you who know these bikes well.

• 5 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Gday dude. Just wondering about the wireing. Ive got an xs400 seca that was burnt out. Just wondering if you know which wires comin out of the altanator are which?? Cheers Kris

check you are charging mate, if your not getting a good 13 -14.5v @3k revs across the battery, the bike don't want to run.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online