helmet

friedegg
This post is 5232 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi folks this weather is great. the question is this what helmet should i buy for my first one ie make,spec,price.what should i go for/stay away from ie make. cheers for help. ps my mate gave me a souomy helmet till i pass my das(module one this sunday) cheers again friedegg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

it has to be full face for max protection especially if your new to biking.

the flip fronts are heavy, just try different ones for fit. some helmets can be really noisy but it differs between each wearer.

my first helmet was a Kangol nylon thingy :D

hi folks this weather is great. the question is this what helmet should i buy for my first one ie make,spec,price.what should i go for/stay away from ie make. cheers for help. ps my mate gave me a souomy helmet till i pass my das(module one this sunday) cheers again friedegg

how much is your head worth to you, buy the most expensive one you can afford, the price makes a difference, go for Shoei or Arai, I had a Shoei RX1000 and crashed not so long ago, I landed on my head hard, and I must say it’s done a great job.

Try as many as possible on, the right fit is important, new helmet should be tight on your head, almost too tight at the begging, it will wear in and mold to your head for a perfect fit.

hope that helps.

i dont do helmets on the cheap, you get what you pay for i always go for well known branded helmets such as shoei and etc

Stroll in to your local bike shop(s) and start trying on all the helmets in your price range. You may find you've got a Shoei shaped head (or an Arai/Caberg/Bell ......), the only way to know for sure is to try. As has been said, the intial fit should be almost too tight, but it should be equal pressure all round, no tight spots, no jabby bits - remember you're going to be wearing this for a fair old while.

Do you wear specs (or sunglasses)? You'll need to be able to get them on and off without jabbing your ears. Extras like anti-fog inserts, built-in (Top Gun stylee) sun visors and so on may tip the balance between two otherwise identical helmets.

Any decent bike shop will help you decide and should have someone on hand to give advice on fit etc. so get out there and shop around.

HTH

I can't say i agree with the most expensive helmets having the better protection. i remember reading a review (in the mcn or somewhere) where they cut various different brand helmets open on a band saw and the better helmet wasn't the most expensive(can't remember what make won). I would avoid cheaper helmets though, and beware of fake Chinese imports that sometimes have the ACU sticker on, if you buy from somewhere reputable you have a better chance of getting the real deal than buying online.

A well fitted bad quality helmet will offer better protection than a poor fitting high quality one.  

Just thought i would add as it hasn't been mentioned, make sure it has the ACU safety marks i.e the ACU gold sticker on the back of the helmet

94578381.jpg .

I use the Caberg V2 - Full face and still the best drop-down sun visor.

No need for sunnies and you can wear glasses with it too.

Possibly the cheapest one with a top safety rating.

Never had any problems.

Arai did crap in the new test,sorry to those of you who swear by them,but they did.buy yourself a shark rsr2 , i did they are ace ,comfy quite and high rated in all test.they are pricey but its been said b4 ,how much is your head worth.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online