'78 XS 400 cylinder problem

Icepick
This post is 5233 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello new member here, I'm in the process of working on a 78 XS 400, when I start the bike it only is running on the right cylinder, I can actually touch the left exhaust pipe, I have spark at both cylinders, could the points be an issue? they are adjusted according to the manual.

could the left carb be flooding out the cylinder?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you have spark, my bet is on a carb problem- and not flooding, fuel starvation (unless you can see fuel pouring out). Test this by spraying WD-40 or starting fluid in the left cylinder when it is running. If the problem is fuel starvation, the cylinder will run with the spray. If that's it, take the carbs off and clean them both and reset the idle mixture. Personally, I would start at 3-3.25 turns out and go from there.

Good luck!

thanks, i do have weak spark on the left, checked the coil the left has 13.95 ohms from the plug wire to the orange primary, the right has 14.26 same wires, going to freeze the coils and see if the readings are different when frozen, this should show if there is a short internally.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online