1975 DT175 electrical issues

bholaway
This post is 5091 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Turn signals light but do not flash. Horn does not work but high beam light dims when horn button is pushed. Headlight is fine when battery is fully charged but will turn dim at idle after running bike for about 30 min. (Battery not charging?) Will brighten when bike rpm is reved up. Any ideas? Thank you.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Howdy,

Headlight works off the AC circuit (that needs the engine running) while signals, horn and brake light work the DC circuit (they'll work with just the ignition on but engine running or not). Basically two different systems but linked.

While I was writing, it all sounds like the battery needs replacing but read on. You can charge a battery up but it doesn't mean it will hold its charge if it's stuffed.

For the turn signals not flashing that sounds like the flasher relay being dodgy. That's under the fuel tank somewhere (on the 250a anyways) and relatively easy to replace. Do they flash at all with the engine running? Might be it's not getting enough power to trip the switch.

For the horn, sounds like it's drawing current if the headlight dims (high beam only? Prob does both). That should work without the engine running with the ignition on . Leave it til last cause it needs a minimum current to work and it might be working ok if you get the battery sorted. If not, I'd check it with a voltmeter to confirm that there's current. If no current I'd then check and clean all the connectors, tracing them back through the nest of wires in the headlight. If current, pull the horn off and clean the connections. That may get it going. If not the horn is buggered.

Hope that helps,

Gordo

Howdy,

Headlight works off the AC circuit (that needs the engine running) while signals, horn and brake light work the DC circuit (they'll work with just the ignition on but engine running or not). Basically two different systems but linked.

While I was writing, it all sounds like the battery needs replacing but read on. You can charge a battery up but it doesn't mean it will hold its charge if it's stuffed.

For the turn signals not flashing that sounds like the flasher relay being dodgy. That's under the fuel tank somewhere (on the 250a anyways) and relatively easy to replace. Do they flash at all with the engine running? Might be it's not getting enough power to trip the switch.

For the horn, sounds like it's drawing current if the headlight dims (high beam only? Prob does both). That should work without the engine running with the ignition on . Leave it til last cause it needs a minimum current to work and it might be working ok if you get the battery sorted. If not, I'd check it with a voltmeter to confirm that there's current. If no current I'd then check and clean all the connectors, tracing them back through the nest of wires in the headlight. If current, pull the horn off and clean the connections. That may get it going. If not the horn is buggered.

Hope that helps,

Gordo

The headlight works with the engine not running. I can tell that there has been some "tampering" with the wiring so I may have to get a schematic and trace everything. There is an extra wire not on the harness that is stuck in the headlight socket and runs to the rear of the bike near the tail light. I don't think that is right. The battery is new and fully charged. Do you know what helps to keep the battery charged when the bike is running? I also suspected the turn signal flashing unit. I will have to look for one. Thank you for the advice on the horn. I will check all connections. Thank you again for your response.

Quick question, this isnt a leccy start version is it.

As the headlight can't come on without the engine running. Save the parking light of course. Unless its the electric start (12v) bike, then the headlight will come on of the battery as it all works a lot like a car. Apart from the charger/starter being a bit of a complicated bugger to set up.

125's had the electric start (which I still find amazing).

Have a look at the parts cat. at yamah-motor.com which gives a good idea of what things should look like. I found that to be really good for me until the dt250a stuff was mostly removed. They even had technical bulletins on there which were great but I can't find them anymore. That sucks but I had a quick look and the 175b list is there.

I reckon you need a wiring diagram too as it sounds like the wiring has been messed with. There shouldn't be any wires outside of the harness running from the light back through the bike. Any luck it will be minor and just related to the headlight. You might find that it was wired that way because the lighting coil is stuffed. Does the tail light work with the engine running? That should be the same as the headlight in that it should only work with the engine running.

A service manual would be useful as it would have the wiring diagrams and troubleshooting guides.

Keep posting how you get on.........

Gordo

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online