How much would it cost...

christofeser
This post is 5231 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Harley-Buell-chopper-bobber-project-/180509919505?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2a073ac911#ht_560wt_1165

saw this on ebay - any estimates on how hard it would be - and how much it would cost - to get it up and running.

It has the potential for a really nice bike - I think.

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

wowieeeeeeee!

Seriously?

Man, that's way more than predicted - even if I buy parts 2nd hand???

I really want a project!!!!!!

Chris

still a lot of work there and to do properly would take that.

do it over 2 years and you won't notice the expenditure!

my 400 cost that to restore!

woah.

Okay

I'm thinking of customizing my xvs125 into a bobber - like someone else has already done on this forum. But I don't want to spend too much cash. I know that's ambitious but I reckon I could do it...

In the future, I'm looking to buy projects like that and sell them on. Not only to make a bit of cash - but also to build up a bit of know how - and hopefully do develop a nice hobby :)

So any suggestions on how messed-up a bike I should begin with? I don't know too much actually, but nowadays - most things can be found on Youtube anyway :) (and with guidance from such amazing forums :) )

Regards

Chris

woah.

Okay

I'm thinking of customizing my xvs125 into a bobber - like someone else has already done on this forum. But I don't want to spend too much cash. I know that's ambitious but I reckon I could do it...

In the future, I'm looking to buy projects like that and sell them on. Not only to make a bit of cash - but also to build up a bit of know how - and hopefully do develop a nice hobby :)

So any suggestions on how messed-up a bike I should begin with? I don't know too much actually, but nowadays - most things can be found on Youtube anyway :) (and with guidance from such amazing forums :) )

Regards

Chris

ok for starters that bike would be way too advanced for your skills! start small and work your way up! id say you want a small bike (50 to 125cc) to begin with. iv worked on cars (bodywork and paint) in my own time to gain some of the skills necessary to do a decent looking job. you would be looking for a 125 with damaged or no fairing, but you want the frame and the rest of it to be in good working order! (especially the engine unless you can afford to replace it!) then go from there, id say spend no more than £500 on your 1st project bike and expect to pay anything up to £1500 for the parts, paint and materials you will need, then you need to think about if you have the right tools!

your best bet would to buy a bike to use for ur every day runaround and use the xvs 125 as a starter project.

the only reason why i decided to start my project was because the engine blew up so i had nothing to loose. i bought the bike brand new for £4000 and wanted to try and retain some value, flogging it for parts would only fetch around £1000 and scrap value is pitiful! so i thought spend £1000 on it and then when finished il have a nice brand new 125 custom bobber that might fetch £4000 when i come to sell it but there is no guarantee!

oh awesome. Heed has been taken - I will not set my sights too high.

I'll find something - I'm sure. Is ebay the best place to find damaged bikes???

Chris

oh awesome. Heed has been taken - I will not set my sights too high.

I'll find something - I'm sure. Is ebay the best place to find damaged bikes???

Chris

could be but all depends what ur looking for! best take a m8 who knows a bit about how an engine should run to check it out b4 u spend ur cash. but id say ur best off including the price of an engine in ur budjet just incase u need it. then as long as uv got a good rolling chasis with all the extras it dont matter what shape the bike is in! :D

but note if you make considerable changes to the engine or frame then ul need to get it checked out by the dvla to make sure it meets road standards and is legal! plus ul need to get it registerd

Yeah I guessed that :)

I think for my first one I'll look for one that is already running run - and maybe touch it up just cosmetically, and resell it.

You know - one of those ebay ones that could have had that little more done to them, and listed a bit better, to buy, and then sell on again - make a bit for my next project. Would that be advisable?

Chris

Yeah I guessed that :)

I think for my first one I'll look for one that is already running run - and maybe touch it up just cosmetically, and resell it.

You know - one of those ebay ones that could have had that little more done to them, and listed a bit better, to buy, and then sell on again - make a bit for my next project. Would that be advisable?

Chris

yeah sounds good but as iv said just make sure the engine is ok ( check service records/ if its been rebuilt and who rebuilt it, any work done for the mot? ect.) give it a test drive! if they havent got anything to hide then they wont mind! ul find that there r some ppl out there that wont tell u that the engine is about dead till u find out for urself. so just be careful.. ur best bet is to ask on here! im sure there are some ppl with broken 125s that want to sell and they will tell u exactly whats up with the bike! :D

Okay cheers mate.

I'll keep searching around... hopefully will find something :)

Cheers for all your help - again!

Chris

This seems like an easy-enough start maybe?

Thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GS-750-low-rider-bobber-spares-repair-/270583165525?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3f00037255#ht_500wt_1154

Needs a "new battery and carbs cleaning" - that's not too hard is it...?

Could do it up and then fetch a bit more for it on ebay maybe - so I could make a bit of cash for more projects etc...

Any thoughts welcome :)

chris

looks good but id b very cautious! a 750cc for £150? with no reserve!!!?? makes me think whats up with it!

if it was me id go down with a spare battery (ask seller what voltage battery is) and a tool kit and try and get it started! if you put the spare battery in it, then tick it over, if it dont start ask if you can check the carbs, take the tank off and take the side cover off the carbs to get to the jets, take the jets out and give them a blow then put it all back together and see if u can bump it, also check spark plug colour and quality of oil, check the air filter for muck and dirt, also check the fuel colour! (should b clear)

and see if the electrics work.

if you get it started (warm it up 1st) then give it a quick blast in 1st gear to make sure the engine revs ok with a load then go through all the gears to see if they work (dont need to go fast just see if there hard to get in or seized)

last but not least check the chain and sprockets to see if they need replacing and overall condition of the bike

if you get it started and it all looks ok then its a steal m8! if it all works then id pay up to £500 max for it then sort it out (properly) to flog it on for anywhere between £1000-£1500 (if you can get that much for it!)

but yeah just be cautious!

awesome

It's in somerset though :( just noticed...

I'm in London...

I'll keep a keen eye out though - there's always things that are mis-listed, or not advertised to their full potential on ebay...

Chris

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online