XVS950A strange tube dangling out at the motor

WooShell
This post is 5234 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Yamaha gurus,

I've just taken my new Midnight Star XVS950A for its first ride (bought it three days ago and am totally in love with it already)...

and while cleaning it afterwards, I see a grey rubber tube dangling out in front of the motor.

It runs upwards on the front frame, into some small valve or filter, and then disappears somewhere in the cavity under the fuel tank.

I don't remember seeing that tube when I bought the bike, nor can I find anything about it in the manuals, but I also can't find any pipe or nozzle where it might have slipped off.

It smells faintly of fuel, so I think it might be some kind of fuel tank overfill pipe, but even then would I not want to leave it dangling around like that.

Does anyone know what that tube is and where it belongs? (I can supply a picture if that helps..)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Yamaha gurus,

I've just taken my new Midnight Star XVS950A for its first ride (bought it three days ago and am totally in love with it already)...

and while cleaning it afterwards, I see a grey rubber tube dangling out in front of the motor.

It runs upwards on the front frame, into some small valve or filter, and then disappears somewhere in the cavity under the fuel tank.

I don't remember seeing that tube when I bought the bike, nor can I find anything about it in the manuals, but I also can't find any pipe or nozzle where it might have slipped off.

It smells faintly of fuel, so I think it might be some kind of fuel tank overfill pipe, but even then would I not want to leave it dangling around like that.

Does anyone know what that tube is and where it belongs? (I can supply a picture if that helps..)

It probably is an overflow. Take it back to the dealer you got it from

It probably is an overflow. Take it back to the dealer you got it from

Jebb's most likely right, I've got one on my XJ600 Diversion.

If you fill up to much, fuel will overflow through the pipe (which dangles to under the engine) to the petrol station forecourt, don't worry though because after a few miles it will stop once the fuel is consumed.

When filling up just go to the bottom of the filler tube in the tank. Also I think this acts as the petrol tank vent.

Hope this helps

Happy Birthday WooShell, I think what your describing is the fuel line (fuel from the tank to the carbs-hence the inline filter), just check the connections are not leaking, you may smell fuel if you've over filled your tank (a common newbie thang), post those pics anyway-we likey pics B)

So I probably just lost a tie wrap which kept this tube fixed to the frame?

Well, that can be replaced easily... ;)

Thanks for the advice!

Happy Birthday WooShell, I think what your describing is the fuel line (fuel from the tank to the carbs-hence the inline filter), just check the connections are not leaking, you may smell fuel if you've over filled your tank (a common newbie thang), post those pics anyway-we likey pics B)

that would be rather disturbing.. it's not a loop of tube that's hanging around down there but an open end.. so if it's really the fuel line, it must have come loose somewhere, and I see no nozzle within the reach of that tube.

If it's the tank overflow (which would explain the faint fuel smell and it being an open end), why would it have a valve or filter thingie in line?

It 'runs into some small valve or filter' you said, if it terminates as an open tube then its an overflow-with a non-return valve fitted to it :)

It 'runs into some small valve or filter' you said, if it terminates as an open tube then its an overflow-with a non-return valve fitted to it :)

that sounds like a good explanation. so I'll just tie wrap it back to the frame.

if it's something else.. well, I've got warranty. ;)

(at least I should be safe on my next rides until I can visit the dealer again..)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online