How to remove Steering Head Bearings in XJ600

hotshod
This post is 5014 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All ,.....

I have the bike apart wanting to replace the Steering head bearings in a '95 XJ600 Seca 2 / Diversion......

So far I have knocked out the lower race from the head stock and have the new needle roller bearing sitting on the steerer tube..... BUT I'm struggling to remove the original ball race at the top of the head stock , there is just no lip for me to drift it out ..... NEED IDEAS OR HOW TO INFO , please !!

Everything else is under control just got to get this sucker out.

thanks

• 4 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi All ,.....

"I have the bike apart wanting to replace the Steering head bearings"

Did you find out? I've got the same problem!

Also, how did you get the bottom outer into the steering head, i'm struggling to get it started

Usual method for removal is to use a small cutting disc on a Dremel (other brands are available) and cut a slot across the race, being careful not to cut too much into the headstock itself (minor nicks are OK). Then you can get a BFOS* in and lever the thing out, simples!

* - BFOS - Big F*** Off Screwdriver

Usual method for removal is to use a small cutting disc on a Dremel (other brands are available) and cut a slot across the race, being careful not to cut too much into the headstock itself (minor nicks are OK). Then you can get a BFOS* in and lever the thing out, simples!

* - BFOS - Big F*** Off Screwdriver

thanks for that, I can do this. Any advise on my other issue, getting the new bottom outer race up into the stock. Mine's in the freezer currently. I can see already that it's got to go in square, which isn't easy. Can I hit it hard with a hammer? Any other methods?

thanks for that, I can do this. Any advise on my other issue, getting the new bottom outer race up into the stock. Mine's in the freezer currently. I can see already that it's got to go in square, which isn't easy. Can I hit it hard with a hammer? Any other methods?

Hmmm .... how about a homemade puller? Long fat bit of threaded bar (or a long fat bolt) that goes all the way through the headstock, pop a disc on either end (cut out from some plywood maybe - wont damage the metal of the frame/bearing) and then wind it up with a nut. So, from top down - nut, washer, disc, bar through headstock, bearing, disc, washer, locked nut/head of bolt. Make sure it's all lined up and well greased before winding up and it should all go together smoothly.

Hammer? "Shudder!"

HTH

Hmmm .... how about a homemade puller? Long fat bit of threaded bar (or a long fat bolt) that goes all the way through the headstock, pop a disc on either end (cut out from some plywood maybe - wont damage the metal of the frame/bearing) and then wind it up with a nut. So, from top down - nut, washer, disc, bar through headstock, bearing, disc, washer, locked nut/head of bolt. Make sure it's all lined up and well greased before winding up and it should all go together smoothly.

Hammer? "Shudder!"

Thanks again for your prompt response.

I've already made my puller, earlier attempt failed, my next plan is to freeze the outer race heat the stock,, and use the puller.

my hammer idea included using the old outer race (in between) to get it fully home.

I'll let you know how it goes

thanks again

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online