Dead Tenere

This post is 1306 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

Its been a while. I have just 'completed' a ride from Ushuaia to Alaska on my 2009 Tenere. It died on me 25 miles from Hyder Alaska. A friend towed me in for the last stretch. It appears my battery is no longer being charged. The stator seems to be sending out voltage to the 3 pin plug so the problem lies between that plug and the battery. I found a small hole in the top of what i think is the voltage regulator. Maybe it got some water in it and shorted. The part number for that item is 5vk-81950-40.Does anyone know if this is likely to be the problem? I have checked all the fuses (unless there are some hidden ones somewhere) and looked over the wiring. I am now stuck at a friends in Calgary and it would take a week for the dealers over here to get that part in (unless i DHL it from the uk). Its a bit difficult to diagnose the problem without a wiring diagram and multimeter.

Any suggestions welcome. (Also any suggestions on the best way of shipping the bike back. Seems to be over complicated and pricey)

Cheers all

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It appears my battery is no longer being charged.

<snip>

Its a bit difficult to diagnose the problem without a wiring diagram and multimeter.

Any suggestions welcome.

It's a well known problem, well to those in the know anyway!

I know this is a little late, and maybe no help at all but the problem is in the connector block that connects the Regulator/Rectifier assembly to the main loom. This is the unit with all the fins on it just behind the front wheel.

Take it apart and clean it well, you may have to brake it open. The pins are very small and under some conditions overheat melting the plug.

• 10 years later...
On 5/21/2010 at 5:06 AM, winklepie said:

Any suggestions welcome. (Also any suggestions on the best way of shipping the bike back. Seems to be over complicated and pricey)

Buddy best way can be a bike shipping company.. There are three steps for shipping your bike :- 

1. Shipping container:- 

Whether it’s a cardboard box, soft shell, or hard shell case—is the first line of defense for your bike, so you should consider your vessel carefully.

2.  Packing your bike:-

It is important step because  no matter how protective your carrier is, if you carelessly load your bike in without wrapping it properly, it could be disastrous.

3. Shipping Your Bike

If you’re not driving with your bike, you can either fly with it or ground-ship it. I often used Citizenshipper service(site) but its totally up to you to chose which one. 

If you’d rather not use a bike shipping service, you can take your bike directly to carriers like FedEx or UPS

Whichever shipping option you pick, consider paying a little extra to protect your bike.

Thanks

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online