truing up a spoked wheel.

jdmjimi
This post is 5237 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all! So i am starting the process of installing a 18" wheel on the rear of my previously 16" wheel equipt 1979 xs400. Starting with my 18" used wheel i removed the old tire then position the wheel on my homemade wheel jig (axle and 2 jack stands). To find the wheel has under a 1/4" of run out left to right. Then i started to try to tru the wheel my self only to realize all 36 nipples to the spokes are pretty lose. Then i make some phone calls to some local shops that probably have a better idea on how to handle this more than myself. Well that is not the case. So anyone out there have any advice or knolege on this? Im gonna give this a go on my own. whats the worst that can happen!?!?!?

Haha....... :blink:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey all! So i am starting the process of installing a 18" wheel on the rear of my previously 16" wheel equipt 1979 xs400. Starting with my 18" used wheel i removed the old tire then position the wheel on my homemade wheel jig (axle and 2 jack stands). To find the wheel has under a 1/4" of run out left to right. Then i started to try to tru the wheel my self only to realize all 36 nipples to the spokes are pretty lose. Then i make some phone calls to some local shops that probably have a better idea on how to handle this more than myself. Well that is not the case. So anyone out there have any advice or knolege on this? Im gonna give this a go on my own. whats the worst that can happen!?!?!?

Haha....... :blink:

I've respoked both my wheels, I've also built bicycle wheels for years. You do need to be careful about a few things.

1. tighten the spokes evenly and only a little at a time. Start at the air hole and only go 1/8 of a turn on each spoke until you end up where you started. Otherwise the wheel will develop a hop.

2. Lubricate each nipple with a SMALL drop of oil to aid truing.

3. You need to get the wheel tight without overtightening. This is best done with a spoke tensionometer ( I have one of those) but plucking a spoke will do. All spoke should have a nice ring to them and sound the same.

4. Some spokes cross over each other. The point where they meet should be free and not rusted together.

5. When tightening a spoke, do not look at the end since spokes can break. You will lose an eye if not careful.

6. Hold the spoke while tightening and take note of any twisting that happens. When you put a load on the spokes will spring back with a ting sound. Minimize twisting for a true wheel.

7. True the wheel up and down first, then side to side. Start with equal tension and then adjust for true.

8. If you tighten on one side it tightens spokes directly across the wheel as well. Go in small increments.

9. Bent rims never true up. If it's kicked out, replace it.

10. Failure to properly tighten or true a wheel can be dangerous. If you are unsure of the wheel or don't like the look of the spokes I would recommend replacing it.