Spokes Cleaning Question ?

2 Wheels
This post is 5238 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As you may know, im not realy one for cleaning me bikes !

But now i want to learn !

I have cleaned the wire spokes in my wheels but there still not shiney. There is a sort of dull corosion on them.

So my question is this: If i sand them down lightly till there shiney will i damage them and make them rust? and if i can sand them down do i then have to seal them or something? and seal them with what?

Many thanks if you fine peps can help !

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As you may know, im not realy one for cleaning me bikes !

But now i want to learn !

I have cleaned the wire spokes in my wheels but there still not shiney. There is a sort of dull corosion on them.

So my question is this: If i sand them down lightly till there shiney will i damage them and make them rust? and if i can sand them down do i then have to seal them or something? and seal them with what?

Many thanks if you fine peps can help !

The dull corrosion is just oxidization of the zinc on the spokes, it is good in one respect because it shows the zinc is still there.

On NO account do any sanding down though because you will be down to bare metal immediately followed by brown rusty spokes.

Mine were corroded as the previous owner had not looked after the bike and the spokes were pretty naff...but now they are just pretty :D

One clean only ...use 'Belgom Chroom' as it is not very abrasive, it will get the dull stuff off and where they are really bad leave them alone.

When they are clean, like I said only do this once...keep them clean.....

For this I just wipe them down regularly with 3 in 1 oil on a clean cloth

CAUTION...take great care not to touch brake disks.

Thats what I did, I havent got a photo but if you wait a few days maybe I can get one ;)

Thanks Paul for the advice,

Unfortunatly for me, i did not wait for a reply and i sanded down 3 of the spokes till they were shining bright.

I take it these will now rust and be usless,

What a domb-ass am I sad.gif

Yep they will rust now, do as I said with the others and hopefully the 3 in 1 oil will help with the sanded ones also. Use it regularly especially in wet weather and winter.

Ta mate

thumb.gif

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online