ELECTRIC MOPED!!!!!! ?

Paulwhite
This post is 5235 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all iv just ridden an electric moped!!!! well its actually a pushbike in the shape of a moped but i was pleasantly suprised!! they have lights, indicators, a horn and it can do 70mph up hill!!! the main good thing is you dont need to pay tax, insurance and rising petrol costs!

its something like 7p and 4 hours to charge the 24volt battery and you get about 28 miles out of a single charge but you can pedal the thing as well as use the throttle! iv had a blast and there great fun and quite nippy! i am seriously thinking about spending my hard earned cash on one of these!

brand new they cost from £1000 to £1500 but when you compare that to a new 50cc scooter, insurance, tax and petrol its a bargain! they dont need all the insurance and tax cause there classed as a pushbike and cause its electric there is no tax :D i seriously recomend people go and have a go on one of these!.

electric-moped.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

tell me you are joking?that is the most uncoolest thing ever i will stick with my petrol powered scooter and with my peddle bike thanks as they are both coller than that put together.

28 miles ,then what ,oh your stuck in the middle of the moors with no charging point.THEY ARE SHIT,and you will look a right tit on one,you can have a little bit more fun on an rd anyday,believe me.cool.gif

28 miles ,then what ,oh your stuck in the middle of the moors with no charging point.THEY ARE SHIT,and you will look a right tit on one,you can have a little bit more fun on an rd anyday,believe me.cool.gif

How can you get stuck anywhere? It has pedals. Never had to push a bike to the nearest petrol station?, or do the middle of the moors have petrol stations round your way?

But i do agree with look of the thing and wouldn't touch it if someone payed me! 2-stroke all the way for me. :)

I owned an electric assist mountain bike (Synergie Avanti) for a few years for getting to work and back. Downhill on the way to work was fine with a normal bike, but uphill all the way home and often in the wet made me buy it. It was great for all the no tax no insurance no mot reasons mentioned above, I could ride it through the park, and park it indoors, in the storeroom next to my office.

However, the biggest problem I had with it, and reason I sold it and upgraded to a real bike... the Battery.

Mine was a lithium-ion battery designed for a cycle doing 15mph over a distance of 25 miles, with pedal assist. (thats me pedalling!)

When I first had it the range on the battery was a little under 20 miles with decent throttle usage, you'd only ever get the stated 25 miles if you never went up a hill and hardly touched the throttle.

Within 18 months the range on the bike dropped substantially to just 5 miles making it almost unusable. Called up for a replacement, £200.

So, if that moped is supposedly 70mph, and does 28 miles, how long will the battery last, and what will a new one cost? Also does the stated range assume a nice flat road at a constant speed of say 30mph? it probably does.

Try waiting for the Hydrogen ones.

America already has Hydrogen fuel stations and Honda do a lovely Hydrogen car.

I owned an electric assist mountain bike (Synergie Avanti) for a few years for getting to work and back. Downhill on the way to work was fine with a normal bike, but uphill all the way home and often in the wet made me buy it. It was great for all the no tax no insurance no mot reasons mentioned above, I could ride it through the park, and park it indoors, in the storeroom next to my office.

However, the biggest problem I had with it, and reason I sold it and upgraded to a real bike... the Battery.

Mine was a lithium-ion battery designed for a cycle doing 15mph over a distance of 25 miles, with pedal assist. (thats me pedalling!)

When I first had it the range on the battery was a little under 20 miles with decent throttle usage, you'd only ever get the stated 25 miles if you never went up a hill and hardly touched the throttle.

Within 18 months the range on the bike dropped substantially to just 5 miles making it almost unusable. Called up for a replacement, £200.

So, if that moped is supposedly 70mph, and does 28 miles, how long will the battery last, and what will a new one cost? Also does the stated range assume a nice flat road at a constant speed of say 30mph? it probably does.

the bike is rated 28miles at 30mph without pedaling and a new battery cost only £60! its good for about 600 charges then will need replacing.

which is quite reasonable.

How can you get stuck anywhere? It has pedals.  Never had to push a bike to the nearest petrol station?, or do the middle of the moors have petrol stations round your way?

But i do agree with look of the thing and wouldn't touch it if someone payed me! 2-stroke all the way for me. :)  

yeah ok the looks are a bit shoddy to say the least but im sure that it can be sorted in the near future! im more for the idea of it than the looks cause at the end of the day whats from stopping them making it look like an aprillia rs? or a pitbike? just a little bodywork! its a good idea and will work out alot cheeper in the long run yeah it might not pull 70mph up a steep hill but if u pedal you can reach a decent speed more so than you would if you were on a pushbike!

er just a thought,?how long does this nought to seventy actualy take?laugh.gifbiggrin.giflaugh.gif .

er just a thought,?how long does this nought to seventy actualy take?laugh.gifbiggrin.giflaugh.gif .

dunno. need to give it a test ride! but it hit 30 faster than my xvs dragstar!

That's one thing I will say about the leccy bike I had, it may only be designed for 15mph, but it used to get there damn quick.

Expect about 15-20 miles range unless you're extremely gentle with it. 60 quid for a battery does sound reasonable though, and worth a shot if you're only doing short hops. It will be like pedalling a lead weight if the battery dies on you though as you have the weight of the bike plus the drag of the motor to pull along, it's happened to me on a number of occassions, good way to build up a sweat and not make any progress :)

did urs speed up when u pedaled? cause the one i went on u could only get 15 on the trottle but if you peddaled hard you could get 40! and it shifted! but you can get a 2nd battery for these which go under the seat for them long journeys (or for a resurve tank so to say) think you get another 15 - 20 miles out of it but they dont last as long as the main one dus.

They're all restricted to 15mph for legal reasons, so at 15mph the power cuts off even though there's plenty of power left. There's nothing stopping you from pedalling past 15mph though, I'd regularly get 25-30 out of it going down hill on the way to work.

The battery was also removable in about 15 seconds so a second battery is an option, although it does add even more weight.

banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

em !!! if ya just pedal hard on an ordinary bike you would do 40mph

and ya'd be as fit as a fiddle !

why dont they come with a built in dynamo so you dont have to fart around peddling them ,?is this to easy.(and no im not softening to the idea of buying one of these peado plods)tongue.gif

good question ! but i dont know ....probably down to cost, but surely it would make sense that in some way the force of the person pedaling would help towards keeping the battery charged.

iv noticed that they use a drum brake for the front wheel surely you could put a dynamo where the shoes should b and convert it to disk brake, then u will be charging the battery as you move. might even get a few extra miles out of it.

and buy law for you not to have to pay tax, insurance ect, you need to pedal it. (so that the motor is off unless the rider dus somethin to turn it on)

and "legally" they can only do 15mph with the motor but in reality you could take the restrictions off (very easy), but run the risk of the police pulling you up, but it is said that they tend not to bother just as long as ur not causing a danger to others (which in my mind u are doing goin 15 in a 60 limit).

as to the 2nd battery its nowhere near as big or as heavy as the original and stays under the seat instead of the footwell, (there is a separate plug for it)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online