XS400 Petcock Help

FathomYourFears
This post is 5075 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1981 XS400 special. As you may know, the petcock is a vacuum-fed when in the on position and when in the prime position it dumps fuel into the carbs through gravity. My question is: when it is set to reserve, is it still vacuum-fed? or does it switch to gravity fed like prime position? Thank You.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Arrggg. Thanks. This means I need a petcock rebuild kit. I was washing my bike today and I noticed my oil in the sight-glass went up above the glass. So I went to drain it and it smelt horribly of gasoline. How difficult is the rebuild? Any good place to get the kit? Thank You.

Arrggg. Thanks. This means I need a petcock rebuild kit. I was washing my bike today and I noticed my oil in the sight-glass went up above the glass. So I went to drain it and it smelt horribly of gasoline. How difficult is the rebuild? Any good place to get the kit? Thank You.

I replaced the little o ring on the valve inside mine and it stopped leaking. Bought a bag for a dollar at Lowes. that was a year ago and it still doesn't leak.

I got my kit from Keyster.....easy job to refurbish the petcock, only about 7 parts to worry about....

To be clear, the fuel is never drawn by vacuum. The vacuum only turns the flow on and off and the fuel is fed by gravity.

Rather than rebuild the petcock, I put on an adapter plate and manual petcock.

To be clear, the fuel is never drawn by vacuum. The vacuum only turns the flow on and off and the fuel is fed by gravity.

Rather than rebuild the petcock, I put on an adapter plate and manual petcock.

You got rid of the stock one and put a different petcock in? Or did you put a manual one in-line?

You got rid of the stock one and put a different petcock in? Or did you put a manual one in-line?

I replaced the entire petcock. Here is a pic of the finished product:

dsc01255s.jpg

I got the adapter plate and petcock here. Notice that I had to notch the lever because otherwise it would not go full to the reserve position, but that was no big deal.

https://www.partsnmore.com/cat_index.php?model=xs400&category=carb

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I refurbished the petcock. I replaced all the part and reassembled. When in the "ON" position, my petcock drips. Is this normal?

no, it should only pass petrol in the prime position

recheck the seals are sealing, i think i had to do mine as i got the parts wrong way!

I have a 1981 XS400 special. As you may know, the petcock is a vacuum-fed when in the on position and when in the prime position it dumps fuel into the carbs through gravity. My question is: when it is set to reserve, is it still vacuum-fed? or does it switch to gravity fed like prime position? Thank You.

You have an '81 but this just in.

RECALL - "Petcock may be defective"

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle_recalls/49/1978/yamaha/xs400/18539.html