DT 125 re leaking transmission oil

davekelly
This post is 5227 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey,

havent used my bike in a few weeks as i was on holiday. when i came back there seems the be oil leaking in drips from where the gear lever goes into the block thing (im not very mechanical lol). i can only think its from the oil but dont really understand.

Any ideas? the oil was oil ish colour and had no real smell.

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Cheers, is this a tough job. Mate friends a mechanic so I'm sure he'll help.

Do you know where I get them from.

Thanks again

no not a big job, just get a new one, dig out the old one, you may even be able to do it without draining the oil if you get a mate to lean the bike to the right. I recomment placing some tape over the splines of the gear change shaft as you fit the new one, then just tap it home.

ask member 2wheels he did his so has first hand experience. ;)

Well then,

It was my drive sproket seal that was gone and yes this is an easy fix.

Are you talking about the seal that is on the gear changing shaft----- if so this is not as easy a fix.

Are you sure the oil is comming from here and that its not just dripping down from the drive sproket ?

Anyway, to change the gear changing shaft seal, you are talking about doing the following;

drain the gearbox oil

take off the right hand crankcase cover to gain axcess to the other end of the shaft

this is where it gets a bit messy, i am only 90% sure from here on in.

you have some dismanteling to do to get o the end of the shaft, take care as there are springs and things there that will shot off on you,

once you can see the shaft you have to disconect (hold) the selector shaft some how from droping out of position (tricky)

then it is just a matter of pulling out the gearchanging shaft from the other side. replace the seal and back in again.

It wont be as easy as it sounds. This is an unusual seal to fail so ther might be underlying probs with woren selector gear parts and ends.

On a lighter note,,

if it is not dripping to bad and you havent been using the bike then--- starp her up, go for a spin and just maby the heat of the engine might tighten up the seal again for you.

Hope this helps with your decision on what to do!!!

• 3 weeks later...

cheers guys,

ive got some stuff to do on my car first so it doesnt look like ive got time to do this as i still havent re done my cbt, so may have to sell

anyone interested at a very good price? if you know anyone i'd be happy to answer any questions, take photos etc.

thanks again