Kick start spring and cover...

XS 500
This post is 5250 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am having problems with the kick on my bike, a xs500 as you might figured out already : )

After I replaced my clutch and gotten everything back together I noticed that my kick didnt spring back, so I took of the crank case cover and managed to get right into hell. Replacing the clutch, the gear lever axle and the clutch basket took a hour, now I was going to spend much more time in the abyss of the crank case. First the ignition fell apart, so I had to strip that, next the kick spring cover didnt align up so when I had putten all together and kicked a small accident happened. The big cogwheel behind the clutch basket chewed the plate on the cover to pieces... But the kick did spring back, atleast without the crank case cover on. Hammer the spring cover back to "normal" shape and then try again to make it sit still, by now the entire kick assembly had fallen out of the crank case. Anyway, I managed to retain the thick washer on the end so I atleast didnt have to tear all the engine apart. There must be a god after all, but this was to be his last sigh. After all had been reassemblied again, with a horrible "gasket on tube" (or whatever it is called in english) which got all over the place, on all tools, hands, trousers and even on the danish pastry, disaster struck. The kick still didnt spring back, it is even harder to pull back up now then before, and yes, I did tension the spring... :(

WHAT HAVE I DONE!!! WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET SALVATION!!! :)

So in short, how to get the spring cover to sit still and as it should inside the crank case.

Why doesnt the kick spring back even after I have tensioned the spring?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online