Bike License

R46Phil
This post is 5169 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello All

I've been riding a Honda CBF125 for the last year after doing my CBT, but i went yesterday and bought a 2007 Yamaha R6 R46, then booked my theory test.

My question is what extra lessons or training would you recommend? I will hopefully have passed both my bike tests by the end of the month as thats when my insurance starts any advice would be helpful

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My question is what extra lessons or training would you recommend? I will hopefully have passed both my bike tests by the end of the month as thats when my insurance starts any advice would be helpful

Nothing like a bit of pressure....

I doubt very much that you can actually get in a theory and both modules of the test in a month. the DSA just doesn't work that well!

from a 125 to a R6, is a mighty leap indeed and something that you need to consider very carefully. Forget what you think you have learned on the 125, not only do you need to learn to pass your test but you have to un-learn all the bad habits you've picked up over the last year too.

First of all, have you read (and this sounds stupid, but it's important) the Higway code ? Also there are other publications from the DSA on Motorcycle riding, these woud be a great start.

Secondly, you should at least speak to a training school, these guys know how to get you through the test - it's nothing like the CBT and you can fail the test on a simple part of either module (not reaching 30mph in the stopping-in-a-box part for instance). Failure on the second module can be something as simple as a sequence of missed life-savers, or failing to stop (and put your foot down) at a STOP sign. If the examiner has to take any action (such as passing you) then you will fail!

I know it sounds like the voice of doom, but the answer is in real life training with a decent instructor. You can't see your bad habits until someone points them out, same goes for errors, mistakes or judgement calls. Some people can pass the tests easily, other can't.

The only thing the 125 has taught you is some bike control, now you need to learn how to ride.

I've just got through my bike test, and was in a similar situation, although because I'm 18 I could only do my restricted license. I had a TZR125 which I rode the wheels off, but you still need training. I did 2 lessons for Mod 1, make sure they let you practise at the actual centre so you know what you're doing. And I had another 2 lessons for Mod 2...mainly just getting used to all the stupid little things you have to do to get your test passed. You won't need as many lessons as people starting out riding, but you still need to be shown what the examiners are looking for.

Good luck :)