XT660 - Off Road

XT Alan
This post is 7341 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Early this evening a friend (on a DRZ400) and I went on some pretty rough stuff. If you have a relief map of Wales, we went from Bontgoch (Elerch) up through the forestry to the end of the Nanymoch reservoire - about 12 miles and a climb of about 1200 feet in one two mile section. It took well over an hour and a half and we didn't see another human being.

The XT was surprisingly capable of handling what, in places, was a very steep, rocky and loose surface. This track would be impassable to anything other than a short wheelbase Landrover. The Suzuki was obviously better, but the XT kept its end up.

One thing I will do, however, is get better more supportive boots. My road boots were not up to the job.

So the verdict on the XT is that it is a true dual purpose bike. The weight was not a problem, though the gearing is a little on the high side for very tricky sections. Crossing streams is FUN! The cooling fan came on for the first time in 2500 miles, which shows how hard and slow the engine was working.

Paris Dakar - Here I come :shock:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Crossing streams?  :shock:  

You deliberately got the bike wet?   :lol:

AND dirty. Like I said, I prep the bike carefully so that it can take all the muck without any cosmetic harm. My bikes always clean up in showroom condition, even though I ride all through the year.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online