painting chrome

Paulwhite
This post is 5250 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

anybody want a how too on D.I.Y painting chrome wheels? iv just done my front wheel and it looks mint (just look at the photo) so was gonna do a step by step for the back wheel if anyone is interested? :D

100_1693.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes, why not do a step by step,

These things are always of use to people who are doing up there bikes on a tight budget.

anybody want a how too on D.I.Y painting chrome wheels? iv just done my front wheel and it looks mint (just look at the photo) so was gonna do a step by step for the back wheel if anyone is interested?  :D

100_1693.jpg

One thing i have to say (sorry if it offends) is IMO you shouldn't have painted the spoke nipples, for one they may need to be adjusted at some point and will cause the paint to flake off the rim, and also they don't usually rust and are easy to clean up. Just my opinion though. Otherwise it looks good.

Thats said, a `how to` would be good  B)

Vez. 

right then here we go. this is how i did it.

tools and paint (all from wilkos) :-

wire brush attachment for power drill (3 different ones)

3 good paint brushes (spend a bit of money on some decent ones cause the bristles fall out)hammerite special metal primer

red oxide primer spray can

plastikote insignia red spray paint (or whatever you want)

wilkoes brand indoor/outdoor matt black paint (in a tin, could use a spray)

small pack of finishing paper (might need it might not depends if you want to sand down the paint)

plastikote clear coat (spray can)

hair dryer

car wax (i used turtle wax)

cloth

1. take ur wheel off

2. take ur tire off the rim (i used a crow bar but best to get someone to do it properly)

3. get a wire brush attachment for ur power drill and clean the whole rim. you want to get every bit of dirt off including spokes!! (it also scores the top layer of the chrome for the primer!)

4. give the whole thing a dust with a clean dry cloth

5. you want to be able to spin the wheel so what i did was get one of those work benches (you know the ones that have 2 turn knobs to move the back panel similar to a vice)

and clamped the bolt (that holds ur wheel to the swing arm) in the bench at an upward angle

6. put the wheel uv just cleaned on the bolt and get some hammerite special metal primer on your brush and start applying a layer to the hub that you can reach on that side.

7. as the primer on the hub dries put primer on the spokes (i found putting as little primer on the brush as you can helps!)

8. right now uv put a layer of primer on the hub and spokes time to give the wheel a gentle spin! put gloops of hammerite on ur brush and apply to the rim making sure you get a nice even layer!

9. now repeat steps 6 to 8! by this time the hub should be nice and dry ready for the second cote of hammerite primer!

10. now you have done 1 side time to do the other side! do exactly the same steps (6 to 9)

you want to get 2 layers of hammerite primer on there and make sure every bit of metal is covered! (apart from where your tire would cover the rim!! ) have a brew and wait 20 min for the primer to dry.

11. give the red oxide primer a good shake then spin the wheel (i used the round wire brush on the drill, pressed on the bit i didnt prime to spin the wheel) spray the whole thing with a couple of coats of red oxide primer allowing each coat to dry.

12. paint the hub in the color you want (for me its black) it dont matter if you get the spokes cause ul b painting them in a bit. you want about 2 to 3 coats

13. once you have done the hub do both sides of the spokes (because of the way iv done mine i didnt paint them all the way to the rim)

14. once the hub and spokes have dried fully! spin the wheel and apply 2 light coats of insignia red spray paint (or any color you want) to just the rim making sure you get everywhere apart from where the tire will cover it.

15. once its all dry spin the wheel gently, get the hair dryer ready and apply liberal amounts of insignia red to the rim till it has a thick shiny coating. now comes the important bit keep the wheel spinning slowly (about the same speed as a record) put the hair dryer on full and spend 10 min drying the rim whilst its spinning. once 10 min is up the paint should be tacky (should see a finger mark if you touch it but shouldnt come off)

16. flip the rim over and do the other side (dont touch the bit uv just painted!) do it exactly like the 1st side

17. now you need to let the whole thing dry for at least 24 hours!

18. once dry put it on its side put minimum amounts of black paint on your brush and start doing the spokes. i find brushing it side to side covers half the spoke so when you flip it over you can do the same on the other side. Put about 2 layers on the spokes and leave overnight to dry.

19. once all is dry put it back on the bench to spin it. (get the drill and hair dryer out) spin it up with the drill and put a light layer of clear coat on, whist its still spinning use the hair dryer to dry it a little faster (about 5 min) you might need to keep using the drill to keep it spinning. you want about 3 to 4 light layers of clear coat on to seal the whole thing but use the hair dryer between coats.

20. let it all dry over night then get a dry cloth and some car wax, wax the rim according to the guidelines on the bottle then hay presto step back and take a look at your nicely painted rims!!

god thats long winded! but hay it works for me! and gives a good result!

hope someone finds it useful! :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online