K&N Air Filters for XS400

armyofda12mnkeys
This post is 5196 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guys at K&N looked at some photos of my '78 xs400 air filter area and said "the opening is too close to the side wall. Plus the filter neck is rubber and needs to attach to a hard round neck, and this looks like pliable rubber.". I assume the filter i guess should get put directly onto the carb and not the rubber part for the stock filter and I shoulda sent them better pics of the carb hehe.

Curious if anyone knows what exact model K&N's would work with 78 XS400E?

I saw cheap pod filters on ebay ($10 pod versus various 48mm K&N priced at $44), but I dunno if I should trust them versus K&N.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

just get the pod's from mikesXS or get a set of uni filter's . i paid like 14 buck's each for the uni's at the local moto shop and they work gr8 . the k&n are a ripoff. just check the o.d on the carb's to see what size you need

just get the pod's from mikesXS or get a set of uni filter's . i paid like 14 buck's each for the uni's at the local moto shop and they work gr8 . the k&n are a ripoff. just check the o.d on the carb's to see what size you need

smallest filter on mikesxs was 54mm, the xs400 is 48mm i believe btw.

smallest filter on mikesxs was 54mm, the xs400 is 48mm i believe btw.

i have an 82 with bs34 carb's the 54mm fit perfect . i did switch to the uni filter's tho . the rubber on the mikesXS pod's riped the rubber was cheap . the uni fiter's are very nice . the rubber's stiff but plyable . they are a foam type filter with inner spring's you can also get a prefilter boot/sock for them .

• 2 months later...

i have an 82 with bs34 carb's the 54mm fit perfect . i did switch to the uni filter's tho . the rubber on the mikesXS pod's riped the rubber was cheap . the uni fiter's are very nice . the rubber's stiff but plyable . they are a foam type filter with inner spring's you can also get a prefilter boot/sock for them .

I just got a Yamaha XS400 and I need to find replacement air filters. If I get PODS will I have to rejet the carb? I was hoping to avoid rejetting. I have the air boxes, but the filter material is destroyed. I was thinking about just ordering the correct material and making my own air filters with an exacto knife a hot glue gun. Do you know what material I should order?

Thanks,

Adam

I just got a Yamaha XS400 and I need to find replacement air filters. If I get PODS will I have to rejet the carb? I was hoping to avoid rejetting. I have the air boxes, but the filter material is destroyed. I was thinking about just ordering the correct material and making my own air filters with an exacto knife a hot glue gun. Do you know what material I should order?

Thanks,

Adam

if you go with PODS you may have to rejet but it's not that big of a deal and you get to know more about your bike. i would go with the advise you got in your thread about it. try making some and see how you do . go down to the local cycle shop and see what they might have to use ?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online