XS 400 Help

Reyji
This post is 5172 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Folks!

I just purchased my first bike it's a 1980 400 Special. I'm a newbie when it comes to riding and don't know much about motorcycles at all. I have a few questions and would appreciate your help. My friend noticed that any small key could fit in the ignition and turn the bike on. Even a penny could start the bike and get it running. I was shocked at how easily this could happen and the thought of having my bike stolen that easily is scary. Do you have any suggestions to prevent this from ever happening? Is it a good idea to replace the ignition?

Also my electric starter is quite weak and is not working very well. It's trying to turn the engine I can hear it working but fails. Any ideas as to what to check and find out what's causing the problem? The kick starter works but with some difficulty. It takes a few tries. I am curious how often you guys use the kick starter to start your bike as opposed to using the electric starter.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions I really appreciate it. I'm a newbie and excited about riding my first bike.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As for the key issue, there are locks you can buy to lock the wheel or the brakes. If it were me and the ignition switch otherwise worked well, I would see if it was cheaper to get a decent lock or replace the switch and then go with the cheaper option...at least for the time being.

As for the starter issue. How's the battery? That is the first thing I would check. Second would be to make sure the battery cables all have clean connections and there isa good, solid ground (earth?). Also make sure the wires to the starter are clean and in good condition. Only after elimination those would I look to the starter motor itself.

Good luck! These are great bikes to learn to work on and to ride on. I love mine.

Hi,

The battery was weak when I bought the bike. I recharged the battery fully when I brought it back home so it should be okay. I will try checking the wires and the connections like you suggested and also checking out the cheaper option with the key issue.

Thanks very much for your expetise :)

Rey

As for the key issue, there are locks you can buy to lock the wheel or the brakes. If it were me and the ignition switch otherwise worked well, I would see if it was cheaper to get a decent lock or replace the switch and then go with the cheaper option...at least for the time being.

As for the starter issue. How's the battery? That is the first thing I would check. Second would be to make sure the battery cables all have clean connections and there isa good, solid ground (earth?). Also make sure the wires to the starter are clean and in good condition. Only after elimination those would I look to the starter motor itself.

Good luck! These are great bikes to learn to work on and to ride on. I love mine.

I'll do that. Thanks for the advice :)

Before kick starting turn the petcock to PRI to fill the carbs completely and pull the choke out. Mine starts on the first kick if I do that.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online