DIY tire removal?

Paulwhite
This post is 5254 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all just wanted to know how to go about taking the tiers off the rims without damaging owt.

iv got an xvs dragstar 125 and want to re-paint the rims, plus im skint so cant get the nice bloke with the machine to do it.

il be able to get them put back on no probs but i want to get cracking on this project

iv never had to do it on a motorbike wheel b4 so any help/advice would be welcome.

cheers .Paul.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi all just wanted to know how to go about taking the tiers off the rims without damaging owt.

iv got an xvs dragstar 125 and want to re-paint the rims, plus im skint so cant get the nice bloke with the machine to do it.

il be able to get them put back on no probs but i want to get cracking on this project

iv never had to do it on a motorbike wheel b4 so any help/advice would be welcome.

cheers .Paul.

use rim protectors or some peeps use a water hose cut length wise.

also need 2 or 3 tyre irons, they are expensive on ebay but only a tenner from stafford show etc.

have a looksy on you tube for a how to!

2 litre plastic milk cartons come in usefull, and not just for your delusional old woman neighbour to 'conserve' urine in, they can be cut out to make 'rim protectors', dont however use this phrase whilst in general small talk conversation with your delusional old woman neighbour ! :huh:

2 litre plastic milk cartons come in usefull, and not just for your delusional old woman neighbour to 'conserve' urine in, they can be cut out to make 'rim protectors', dont however use this phrase whilst in general small talk conversation with your delusional old woman neighbour ! :huh:

il try and remember not too lol

but yeah thanks for the replies

i cant get youtube cause i use a usb modem (its stupidly slow!!!)and i cant get any tire irons cause im skint, would a crowbar work? im assuming its similar to a pushbike tire.

(deflate tire, jam somethin under the tire then run another pipe round the rim till the tire pops. then lever the tire off the rim )

im not too fussed about taking paint/chrome off cause im re-painting them, just dont want to take chunks out of the rim.

lol.

i cant get any tire irons cause im skint, would a crowbar work? im assuming its similar to a pushbike tire.

(deflate tire, jam somethin under the tire then run another pipe round the rim till the tire pops. then lever the tire off the rim )

i wouldn't use a cross bar, it'l damag the rim and tyre. just take it to an ats place and ask nicely, they'll do it for nowt if your polite. you can't do this with no tools.

im not too fussed about taking paint/chrome off cause im re-painting them, just dont want to take chunks out of the rim.

lol.

you will if you use a crow bar, anyways, you need at least 2 irons, i use 3!!

i wouldn't use a cross bar, it'l damag the rim and tyre. just take it to an ats place and ask nicely, they'll do it for nowt if your polite. you can't do this with no tools.

you will if you use a crow bar, anyways, you need at least 2 irons, i use 3!!

soz to burst ur bubble drewpy but it worked a treat! got me crowbar on it and took 30min to take both tiers off! no damage what so eva to both rim and tire! so im going to start prepping them to paint. B)

soz to burst ur bubble drewpy but it worked a treat! got me crowbar on it and took 30min to take both tiers off! no damage what so eva to both rim and tire! so im going to start prepping them to paint. B)

well done that man! B)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online