out-of-bike XS 400 engine is missing clutch linkage

This post is 5256 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1977 XS 400 engine which starts and runs fine, but is missing whatever operates the clutch. Visible protruding on the left side of the engine is what appears to be a pushrod. It rotates freely, and can be pulled from the case. I purchased a factory manual, but am still unable to ascertain what's missing that disengages the clutch.

Any info, or photos which might provide me with a clue as to how to restore clutch operation, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you'll be missing no 9 in this fiche?

crankcase-cover-xs400d-1977_bigyau0720b-10_ec6c.gif

and 16 to 14 of this fiche

clutch-xs400d-1977_bigyau0720b-3_f2c9.gif

Drewpy,

Thanks for the input. I am indeed missing the #9 portion of the crankcase cover--and also the clutch operating parts 15-25.

The protruding shaft I mentioned appears to be part # 14. The appearance of parts 15-25 suggest the shaft rotates to disengage the clutch, yet mine rotates freely. What I need to know is, does pushing the shaft in disengage the clutch? If it does, I can rig a hydraulic cylinder to push the shaft in. If not, I'm up the proverbial creek, because restoring the factory setup would be prohibitively expensive/impossible because of difficulty in even finding the parts.

Drewpy,

Thanks for the input. I am indeed missing the #9 portion of the crankcase cover--and also the clutch operating parts 15-25.

The protruding shaft I mentioned appears to be part # 14. The appearance of parts 15-25 suggest the shaft rotates to disengage the clutch, yet mine rotates freely. What I need to know is, does pushing the shaft in disengage the clutch? If it does, I can rig a hydraulic cylinder to push the shaft in. If not, I'm up the proverbial creek, because restoring the factory setup would be prohibitively expensive/impossible because of difficulty in even finding the parts.

not hard to get, check ebay.

whereabouts are you?, if you complete your profile, you can get more help

drewps