Carb/fuel problem?

pebiker
This post is 5236 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Greetings to all, I have recently purchased a 1982 xj550, which has only 4500 miles. It looks great and the previous owner says it ran very well. The problem seems to begin with the fuel petcock, the shaped hose( I assume is a vacum line) is missing so the petcok only flows in the prime position. The bike is difficult to start and then will only run at higher idle. It definitely seems to be a fuel issue. Has any one heard of a similar problem? What do you all think? Many heads are better than one. Also where can I find the missing hose and where does it attach. I am in general familiar with motorcycles but this is my first dealing with this specific type. Thanks for the help.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Greetings to all, I have recently purchased a 1982 xj550, which has only 4500 miles. It looks great and the previous owner says it ran very well. The problem seems to begin with the fuel petcock, the shaped hose( I assume is a vacum line) is missing so the petcok only flows in the prime position. The bike is difficult to start and then will only run at higher idle. It definitely seems to be a fuel issue. Has any one heard of a similar problem? What do you all think? Many heads are better than one. Also where can I find the missing hose and where does it attach. I am in general familiar with motorcycles but this is my first dealing with this specific type. Thanks for the help.

hi i an not familiar with your bike,but the vacuum pipe that connects to the fuel tank on my yzf comes from the inlet manifold on number one cylinder, and if this was to be unconnected it would cause what you are describing as you would be running very lean on one cylinder

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online