new member with silly question

tonytony
This post is 5252 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi There,

Can anyone help me as either I am being daft or previous owner was being even dafter..

I've gat a 650 Dragstar 1997 which I've had for a few months.I had it running on the day I bought it

but since then I've had it off the road while I repaired and changed a few things.

Back to the question, the petrol tank doesn't have a breather outlet, well at least I can't find one

and petrol flow stops after a few seconds unless I remove filler cap.

The manaul shows a breather outlet in the top of the tank just behind the large "hole in the tank",,

I do have the breather outlet pipe but I don't have any kind of breather outlet in the tank.

There is a small hollow in the top of the tank in what looks like the right position but no spout.

So, I'm asking again am I being daft or has previous owner removed the breather outlet and filled

the hole in before he repainted the tank

Tony

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm not familiar with your bike but most filler caps has a vent in them, it seems that yours could be blocked.

If you can locate it try clearing it with a small bit of wire or a very small drill. Or if your lucky enough and have access to an air line give it a blast.

I hope this helps because it is usually something simple.

Mike

As mentioned - I've had my tank off many times and never found a breather at all.

No clue what these holes in the top of the tank are... Unless you mean the feed route for the speedo cables?

Fuel cap does have a vent.

Nip to a PC shop and get one of those compressed air cans for a couple of quid. Blast the crap out.

Let us know how you get on.

As mentioned - I've had my tank off many times and never found a breather at all.

No clue what these holes in the top of the tank are... Unless you mean the feed route for the speedo cables?

Fuel cap does have a vent.

Nip to a PC shop and get one of those compressed air cans for a couple of quid. Blast the crap out.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for replies,,

I not sure if my fuel cap has a breather in it, as I'm not sure what to look for and where the breather hole is or how big it is....

I did assume that the fuel cap didn't have it's own breather because I do have a breather pipe which runs down the frame

To explain which "hole in the tank" I meant,,it was the hole which the speedo cable is routed and the the hollow in my tank (and where I thought the manual showed) is as follows ..... As you sit on the bike, remove the speedo along with it's chrome housing,, look the a spot just your side of the large cut-out in tank (where the speedo sits)and there it is a small hollow but no spout ..

As I say, I am confused as I have a breather pipe but nothing on to tank to connect it to

cheers

Tony

Guess it's not a breather pipe then, eh! :D

If you have a 650 Dragstar, it WILL have a breather fuel cap.

They all do.

Just air-dust the thing out. Every single hole you can find. Include the keyway as there will be crap in there that interferes with your key. Clean the whole mechanism out... But do not oil it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online