XS400 SE Front Brake is next to useless!!!

krusty
This post is 5257 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a single disc setup, using the strange looking pivoting caliper, the one with wedge shaped pads!!!, this is my first experience of this type of caliper and I'm not sure I want to continue using the god awful thing.

It appears a previous owner has rebuilt the caliper with new seals and the master cylinder looks clean enough, I have bled new fluid into the system but the effort required to give even a small amount of braking effect is crazy.

The brake line is still the rubber original but I'm not convinced changing it will give significantly better performance.

Is there a direct bolt on upgrade from a newer machine or have I got it all wrong about this oddball caliper. I have had olde japper-neese bikes before and I know the braking performance is nothing like a modern bike, but it would nice to have something a little stronger.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.