82 XS400R Seca headlight cut out problem

nedj10
This post is 5070 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone

the headlight on my xs400 seca went out last week driving down the road and I cannot figure out why, I currently have the bucket off and the wires all splaid out I have checked every connection I can think of, I have multi metered the light socket wires and see voltage and a good ground, but no head light, I also checked the headlight switch and jumpering it gave no joy either. If I wire the light straight to the battery both filments will light up if I put positive to each on respectly.

Any ideas would be super appreciated.

thanks

Ned Williams

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey everyone

the headlight on my xs400 seca went out last week driving down the road and I cannot figure out why, I currently have the bucket off and the wires all splaid out I have checked every connection I can think of, I have multi metered the light socket wires and see voltage and a good ground, but no head light, I also checked the headlight switch and jumpering it gave no joy either. If I wire the light straight to the battery both filments will light up if I put positive to each on respectly.

Any ideas would be super appreciated.

thanks

Ned Williams

I would suspect the headlamp relay

drewps

You have voltage and a ground...what about the lamp itself?

[edit]

Sorry, just saw that both filaments light up. Is yours one of those (like mine) that only lights up when the bike is running?

• 2 weeks later...

The light comes on when the key is switched to the on position.

Where is the headlight relay located? I havn't seen any relay's in the headlight bucket?

thanks

Ned

You have voltage and a ground...what about the lamp itself?

[edit]

Sorry, just saw that both filaments light up. Is yours one of those (like mine) that only lights up when the bike is running?

The light comes on when the key is switched to the on position.

Where is the headlight relay located? I havn't seen any relay's in the headlight bucket?

thanks

Ned

i think it is under the tank not too clued up on the us versions!

• 3 weeks later...

i think it is under the tank not too clued up on the us versions!

After digging through schematics I found (3) relays on the seca 1 identifies itself as a flasher relay and the other two are just listed as "relay" both appear to situated just under the seat and are 2 square relays with 4 wires coming out of them. judging by the direction of the wires I think the right side one has wires pointing towards the headlight.

So now a simple question how do you test them? at 70 bucks a pop for a new one I would like to make sure its the broken part before ordering them?

thanks!

Ned Williams

After digging through schematics I found (3) relays on the seca 1 identifies itself as a flasher relay and the other two are just listed as "relay" both appear to situated just under the seat and are 2 square relays with 4 wires coming out of them. judging by the direction of the wires I think the right side one has wires pointing towards the headlight.

So now a simple question how do you test them? at 70 bucks a pop for a new one I would like to make sure its the broken part before ordering them?

thanks!

Ned Williams

apply voltage and you should hear a click as the bus bar go across the terminals inside the unit. try and get a code off it as relays are really common and cheap.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online