newbie question - Dragstar 01 125 - rear wheel locking

motRocks
This post is 5228 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

You need to give the drum a full service and a good cleaning.

This is not something you should be doing half-heartitly. You dont want your rear wheel to lock up for any reason specialy if your yraveling at speed.

When you service the drum properly, put everything back togeather apart from adjusting the brake.

Get the chain to the correct tension, make sure the wheel spins freely, then stars to adjust the brake.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Always do the cheapest stuff first.

Check everything is properly adjusted. That costs nothing.

I always recommend a full service, particularly if the guy will let you watch and learn. It also pays to have a second, professional set of eyes.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys.

Sorry but I haven't uploaded to pics yet but will.

Loosened everything off (front brakes, rear brakes).

Dropped wheel off again. Hub out, applied some brake cleaner.

Sanded down the inner brake drum as there was a LITTLE burr.

Cleaning should up a large crack in the brake drum. It's about a half inch long and quarter inch wide.

I think the wheel hub is foo bar. Cleaned all back up.

Left brake off slacked and turned wheel. When looking now I can clearly see the REAR brake snagging and moving as the wheel turns.

It's more pronounced when in gear and turning.

Is this a common occurance? The REAR wheel is SUPPOSED to be relatively new so I've no idea why this would fail.

How much is a replacement wheel going to be? Tyre is fine, rear brake seems fine and there's plenty on the pads.

I also found that the front caliper is seizing up. Any ideas on this?

Thanks again lads and I will try get the pics off my phone.

Tip to tail service.

Get a manual and some tools and check everything.

I suspect there'll be some other issues afore too long.

You may have to open up the caliper and clean the crap out from there, too.

the only thing i can think of that would cause it to crack is overheating.???. i tightened up my rear brake a little too much once and it just rubbed the inside of the drum, didnt realize i did it till i got to where i was going (about half an hour down the dual carriage way!) to find the hub had turned a funny colour and was smoking! luckily mine didnt crack but it could b possible that that is whats happened to urs. best bet is have a look on ebay i found some wheels on there for about 50 quid last month so might still be on.

as to the front caliper, take it off the fork, take the pistons out and clean all the crud off. then put them back in (i used 2 monkey grips to push the pistons back in all the way and took the cap of the reservoir) then put the caliper back on the forks, put the reservoir cap back on (loosely) and pump the lever till its doing its job, then tighten up the cap . might need to get a bleed kit and some more dot 4 to make sure its done properly.(i didnt and its been fine for me)

but yeah good luck with that m8 hope you can get it back on the road soon.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online