newbie question - Dragstar 01 125 - rear wheel locking

motRocks
This post is 5229 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys.

Newbie here to the site. Great site lads. Downloaded the service manual. Sorted lots of questions.

But I still have a problem.

I just adjusted the chain as it was slack. Now there is a bit of play, 3cm from top to bottom.

Bike starts great, but when I engage 1st or 2nd, the bike moves for few inches then teh back wheel locks up. It moves even less in 2nd gear. The rear brakes where serviced a few months ago and are still ok!

The oil is near min, but not out. Any ideas what could be the problem. It's my mates bike and he's selling it so I said I'd service it. I know in the past he's had the chain, sprockets, clutch and regulator, and a set of sissy bars (thieves broke into) changed. He hasn't rode it in a few weeks as the loose chain was causing driving problems.

Have I tightened the chain to much? Clutch plates stuck? I could turn the wheel no problems BEFORE I tightened up the back wheel so kinda think this is related.

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere but I searched and nothing came back. Hoping to catch some of you before you head home from work.

Thanks in advance lads.

Mot (Dublin, Ireland)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well, I actually am just leaving work...

Have you checked the back wheel is properly aligned?

'How' did you go about adjusting the chain?

These things are often simple, so check all the silly stuff first.

Well, I actually am just leaving work...

Have you checked the back wheel is properly aligned?

'How' did you go about adjusting the chain?

These things are often simple, so check all the silly stuff first.

Thanks for the quick post.

Adjusting:-- Looosened the back axel wheel nuts. Opened up the lock nut. Adjusted inner nut. Checked wheel was aligned, then tightened up lock nut again. Tightened the axel nut up.

Wheel /chain turned fine BEFORE tightening up the axel nut. Related?

Followed instructions as per user manual. 6-26 page. from yamaha uk site. GREAT SITE!!!

Thanks again.

Mot

Maybe you've overtightened the chain?

Does the wheel rotate freely in neutral?

If you tightened up the chain by moving the wheel backwards did you adjust the rear brake accordingly? It probably needs slackening off slightly...

(Edit: you posted above whilst I was typing)

Back wheel off the ground

dont start the bike

Select 2nd gear or 1st

can you turn the wheel by hand without it locking up

slack off the rear brake !!!!

its most likely uv forgot to do it so ur drum brake is on! slack it off and get back to us

if its not that then check the bearings turn freely and give them a grease.

Hi guys.

Newbie here to the site. Great site lads. Downloaded the service manual. Sorted lots of questions.

But I still have a problem.

I just adjusted the chain as it was slack. Now there is a bit of play, 3cm from top to bottom.

Bike starts great, but when I engage 1st or 2nd, the bike moves for few inches then teh back wheel locks up. It moves even less in 2nd gear. The rear brakes where serviced a few months ago and are still ok!

The oil is near min, but not out. Any ideas what could be the problem. It's my mates bike and he's selling it so I said I'd service it. I know in the past he's had the chain, sprockets, clutch and regulator, and a set of sissy bars (thieves broke into) changed. He hasn't rode it in a few weeks as the loose chain was causing driving problems.

Have I tightened the chain to much? Clutch plates stuck? I could turn the wheel no problems BEFORE I tightened up the back wheel so kinda think this is related.

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere but I searched and nothing came back. Hoping to catch some of you before you head home from work.

Thanks in advance lads.

Mot (Dublin, Ireland)

Whenever you adjust/replace the chain, the rear brake is always altered with it. Move the rear wheel in or out and it moves the brake as it is connected by a fixed linkage, not like the chain which is flexible. Adjust the brake as per the manual. Every time you adjust the chain, you need to adjust the rear brake also.

dont start the bike

Select 2nd gear or 1st

It will a little. Maybe nearly one rotation, then locks up.

There was slack in the brake cable.

Do I need to adjust the torque arm for the rear brake. Doesn't look like there's much adjusting in it.

Thanks again folks.

ok if u just checked the cable (wiggled it) then it will be slack

best to take the screw off ( on the torque arm )that tightens the cable on the hub, then see if the wheel still locks up.

if it sorts it. put the screw back on

i normally tighten it till the wheel wont move ( or is stiff ) then slack it off 1 rotation at a time till the wheel moves.

if it dont sort it

then could b an engine prob i.e gears, clutch,

dont start the bike

Select 2nd gear or 1st

no. wheel locks up.

when did it last have an oil change?

Good question!! I'm assuming the last time is was in the shop for work. That would be last Sept '09. Have 10w40 to put in it tommorrow.

Can you turn the wheel when in neutral, in neutral can you push the bike along at will?

No. It could be the brakes.

I am wondering how the brake torque arm works. Will be popping it off tomorrow for a check.

Thanks again lads for all the prompt replies and useful questions. I should have added that I have worked on a few bikes and cars in the past and have a load of tools. Currently own '81 VESPA PX 125, DNA 01 50cc and got them going from weather siezed engines. Great fun!!!!

well iv got an xvs 125 and every now and then i find it dus it good to take the back wheel off, take the drum brake off and give it a good clean. ul probably find that there is loads of brake dust in there then you can put it back on and re-set it. if you take it off then you can see how it works and if its ceased.

good luck . and get back to us

i still think its cause the drum brake is stuck on and justs needs adjusting.

right just a suggestion have you tried to move the front sprocket on its own by hand?

or taken the chain off, started the engine and see if the engine turns the front sprocket?

this would narrow your search down to either engine or drive train

then you would know if it is ur engine or something to do with the back wheel.

oh just thought you know that pin that goes through the center of the wheel to hold it to the swing arm? have you put it on too tight? try slackening it off and see what happens.

get back to me

I would say the chain tension itself is incorrectly adjusted.

Slacken everything off and start again from scratch.

Adjust the wheel using the two adjusting bolts. Turn them an equal number of times and no more than 1 turn at a time.

When the correct chain tension is reached, turn the rear wheel and move the chain about 10-15 links further.

Check tension again and adjust where necessary.

Move on another 10-15 links.

Keep repeating until you get a good overall tension.

Lock up the axle bolt, lube the chain and go riding.

OK. Had a chance today to have a look.

Popped off back wheel, took out brake drum. Yes the brake cam was a little stiff but ok. There wasn't much dirt there. A spacer popped out and I'm assuming that goes between frame and brake drum.

Tightened chain while checking for snagging ever 15 or so links. Felt great.

Tightened up rear bolt.

When I tried to move backwheel with engine running it got tight again. Rear wheel is tighening up when I lock the rear wheel bolt.

Should I be tighenting the rear (wheel) bolt with the machine on the ground? I ask as I think there is less slack in the chain once the bike is on the ground, (not jacked/supported).

Checked the rubbers while wheel was off and everything looked ok.

I think it still chain tension honestly.

When the brale plate is off you may feel a little ridge inside the drum at the edge, this is brake dust and crud build up. You need to sand this down smooth before fitting the brake back in, the shoes could snag on that.

Should I be tighenting the rear (wheel) bolt with the machine on the ground?

Nope.

Jack the bike up on a level surface. Do everything. Only then lower it back down.

Have you also checked the rear brake system to make sure it isn't engaging when you lower the bike?

Have you also checked the rear brake system to make sure it isn't engaging when you lower the bike?

No. I haven't checked. I'm thinking I may need to adjust the brake tensioner too.

I also noticed that one of the springs in the rear drum brake looked a little stressed. ie overworked.

Are these hard to come by or would any motor factors have them. Actually how would you re-FIT these springs. Looks like a pig of a job.

Actually forgetting to put back on the chain after cleaning brakes makes it such longer job. ;-)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online