xs400 cafe racer, "Black Vengeance"

armyofda12mnkeys
This post is 5254 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I was debating selling my 1st and only bike I bought last year to get a CB 350 last september and then while on vacation someone knocked my bike over (and stole my friends van and busted his other cars windows lol).

So when I came back I decided to make my baby into something beautiful to get back at whoever knocked it over hehe. Hence the name "Black Vengeance".

Here is what she was:

4556398858_df467cba61_o.jpg

and here is what she is (minus the fork gaiters and maybe K&N air filters I bought ... and my new very cool non-neon helmet which I'll upload in a few weeks):

4555762983_488097f49a_b.jpg

4555762675_0d2029b5c8_b.jpg

4557021394_cb920d86db_o.jpg

4556393351_0af942ddf3_o.jpg

4556393363_2d3932d334_o.jpg

I bought all the parts (tank/seat courtesy of awesome seller Dave, still havent put on the vintage ABS headlight he made me), and my mechanic in Philly did all work.

Currently putting together a 85' ninja 600R engine with some friends... so I'll probably start doing work on her myself next year (head gasket has a small leak, tranny gets cluckily stuck between first and 2nd alot ... and sometimes a 'softer' stuck (dont need multiple kicks to get out of this state) between 4th and 5th ... put in a new clutch cable, didnt help, will try clutch plates next). Electric usually is iffy, (tries to start it, but 50% of time with choke out doesnt work, but kick always works). Will try installing a new starter-clutch/flywheel in case mine is worn.

Thanks again to everyone that helped, especially drewpy!

Future plans for my reference:

fork gaiters,

new air filters/re-jet,

clutch plates,

starter-clutch,

clutch cable needs to be shortened (covers keyhole lol),

new levers,

neck bearings, bronze swing arm bushings,

powder coat mags black,

vintage looking coker tires on both wheels (think those 3.5"x18" should work on both tires even though the 3 manuals I have conflict that info)

black fender maybe,

Put on vintage headlight (see how looks without fairing),

Rebuild engine,

Get self-cancelling and flashing relay (solid lights currently errrr) to work again.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

thats a sweet bike. myself am working on a xs400 cafe racer. (will post pic once i learn how)lol!

Can i ask what size rear wheel you are running?

looking good mate.

should easy get a 4.00 x 18" on the back and the 3:50 x 18" on front.

don't chuck that fender as I'm looking for a new one ;) mines starting to crack

thats a sweet bike. myself am working on a xs400 cafe racer. (will post pic once i learn how)lol!

Can i ask what size rear wheel you are running?

To share pics here... Open up a flickr.com or picasa.com account, then upload pics to your account and then each pic has a public link (goto the individual pic in flickr and should be a link you can copy on the page) ... For this site, just click the Pic icon when you are posting, and paste that link in the popup.

I took some pics of it today ... The model of tire is listed (browse through the pics to enlarge, but i think the rear wheel is a Continental TKV 12 (110/90-18) and the front is Dunlop D404 (100/90-18) ):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7979944@N04/sets/72157623855660041/

Dont know what they equate to in inches. Maybe conversion chart out there, but i havent found a good one

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online