Fuel leak xj600 div

Merlydog
This post is 5257 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

68d98bd2.jpg

right, well Sarah, the fuel tap looks brand new so I'm guessing the previous owner had the same problem-fuel leak, the tank breather nipple looks rusty, so I'm guessing that the tank needs taken off the bike and properly repaired/sealed at this nipple, there are products out there to do this, but if I were you I'd get someone local (who knows what they're doing)to help you out, there is a potential for a fire here, and your better safe than sorry :huh:

Absolutely, I'm glad u said that as I thought it just me being paranoid. Thank you very much for your help and persistance & will keep you posted on my progress. Sarah..

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yep, I second what Bark just said.

Looks like someone has been trying to braze that nipple on so maby it has got a bang before-hand.

Needs proper fixing or trouble is coming your way.

biggrin.gif

68d98bd2.jpg

right, well Sarah, the fuel tap looks brand new so I'm guessing the previous owner had the same problem-fuel leak, the tank breather nipple looks rusty, so I'm guessing that the tank needs taken off the bike and properly repaired/sealed at this nipple, there are products out there to do this, but if I were you I'd get someone local (who knows what they're doing)to help you out, there is a potential for a fire here, and your better safe than sorry :huh:

Bark, last question I promise. Would it be difficult/expensive to replace the fuel tank. Assuming of course the problem area is attached to the fuel tank? I'm just thinking it might be easier for me to do myself at home. If it involves safety and getting it just so then I would get someone in the know to do it.. I have a haynes manual & for a woman quite practical :-)

Bark, last question I promise. Would it be difficult/expensive to replace the fuel tank. Assuming of course the problem area is attached to the fuel tank? I'm just thinking it might be easier for me to do myself at home. If it involves safety and getting it just so then I would get someone in the know to do it.. I have a haynes manual & for a woman quite practical :-)

Hi Merlydog,

I might have a wee go at answering this on Bark's behalf---- if he doesnt mind.

1st. It is not all that hard to take off the tank and replace it with another one, You should be able to do it.

2nd. To find a second-hand tank might be hard and to buy a new one would be expencive. ( second-hand wont be cheep either)

3rd. Now put some fuel in the tank and take a good look at where it is leaking from. Is it coming out of the end of the nipple or is it coming out from arround the base of the nipple? If its comming out of the end of the nipple then there isnt much point in getting a different tank--- i dont think. It might be ok to just put a piece of pipe on the nipple and then blook off the other end------- but im not 100% sure if it is ok to do this.

Is this the only prob with the bike or have you any other fuel related probs that might be causing this leaking problem ?

Bark might have more info on this than me as im not to familiar with your bike !

Hi Merlydog,

I might have a wee go at answering this on Bark's behalf---- if he doesnt mind.

1st. It is not all that hard to take off the tank and replace it with another one, You should be able to do it.

2nd. To find a second-hand tank might be hard and to buy a new one would be expencive. ( second-hand wont be cheep either)

3rd. Now put some fuel in the tank and take a good look at where it is leaking from. Is it coming out of the end of the nipple or is it coming out from arround the base of the nipple? If its comming out of the end of the nipple then there isnt much point in getting a different tank--- i dont think. It might be ok to just put a piece of pipe on the nipple and then blook off the other end------- but im not 100% sure if it is ok to do this.

Is this the only prob with the bike or have you any other fuel related probs that might be causing this leaking problem ?

Bark might have more info on this than me as im not to familiar with your bike !

Hi 2 wheels,

It is definitely coming out of the end of the nipple, i'm not sure if there's ever been any piping on it to be honest, as I didn't even look down there until smelling the fuel having re fueled it the other day, had to drain the tank to move it on a pickfords lorry. The only fuel problems i've ever had is when i've let it run too low (very low actually, beginners mistake lol) it can cut out, but as long as I keep it topped up its fine.

Oh yes and it's minimal, but too much to be normal breather wastage if that makes sense?

Are you careful to not spill any around the filler with the fuel pump nozzle?

There should be a pipe on that that exits the bike lower down where it wont be an issue

Hi, yes generally I am, but it's not entirely unlikely I have missed a little, it did leak for a few days

Hi 2 wheels,

It is definitely coming out of the end of the nipple, i'm not sure if there's ever been any piping on it to be honest, as I didn't even look down there until smelling the fuel having re fueled it the other day, had to drain the tank to move it on a pickfords lorry. The only fuel problems i've ever had is when i've let it run too low (very low actually, beginners mistake lol) it can cut out, but as long as I keep it topped up its fine.

Oh yes and it's minimal, but too much to be normal breather wastage if that makes sense?

Ok this is my thaughts !

So its comming out of the end of the nipple so no need to change the tank.

Haveing drained the fuel outa the tank and then it being left for a few days vapours are allowed to build up inside the tank, specialy if its a double-skined tank.

Then earlier you said you refiled it right up to the neck with fuel, fuel could have gone into the overflow because of this and now it is mixing with the vapours and ending up comming out of the breather nipple.

What i would do first is get a piece of pipe onto the nipple long enough so that it hangs down below the engine safely. I wouldnt block off the end of it either (just yet). This makes your bike safe to ride, now i would fill the tank to about 3/4 full and get using the bike for a few days. What i am thinking is with the bike being used then this will speed-up the draining of the breather pipe.

What i think has happened is the vapours and overfull fuel tank have mixed togeather and are going to take a while to dribble out through your breather pipe. Fuel tanks are better off to be almost full all of the time especially if the bike is not being used, it gives less amount of room for vapours to build up.

Try this for a while and see if it all drys up, if it wasnt leaking before this and no other damage has been caused or changed then i think it might gust be as simple a fix as this, and cheep to.

Hope it gets you sorted.

Firstly dont panic too much, most of the time its something simple that can quickly grow arms and legs and before you know it its 'worst case scenario time'

the tank wont need replacing I dont think, the fuel is coming 'through' the nipple-but not from around it-so the tank is sealed.

inside the tank (joined to this nipple) is a metal straw (if you go to your 'powder room' and lift off the toilet cistern lid you'll see a tube which sticks up just above the water line-its similair to this inside your tank)

with me so far :blink:

Firstly dont panic too much, most of the time its something simple that can quickly grow arms and legs and before you know it its 'worst case scenario time'

the tank wont need replacing I dont think, the fuel is coming 'through' the nipple-but not from around it-so the tank is sealed.

inside the tank (joined to this nipple) is a metal straw (if you go to your 'powder room' and lift off the toilet cistern lid you'll see a tube which sticks up just above the water line-its similair to this inside your tank)

with me so far :blink:

lol indeed yes I am

Ok, first thing to try, if you can get hold of a piece of stiff wire-a very thin coat hanger wire or copper wire like the bare earth wire that is in the middle of electrical cable-straighten out a section about 7 inches long and poke this up through the nipple

this 'straw' may be blocked and gassing up the tank (you might hear a wee short hiss if you open the filler lid ?) :blink:

If the straw is clear then it might be rusted (inside of tank where it joins this nipple) there might be a tiny hole allowing the fuel to pass through to the base of the straw and out the nipple

you can buy a product that you pour into the tank to seal tiny holes like this-however this will mean taking the tank off the bike and removing the fuel tap, then plugging the fuel tap hole etc etc, (a bit of a job)

Drewpy and Oldgitonabike who are Moderators on this site and well knowledgable guys will know this product and its name and possibly where to buy it :)