Fuel leak xj600 div

Merlydog
This post is 5260 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

Wondered if anyone would mind helping out an absolute amateur with a fuel leak in my 1992 xj600 diversion please?

Having drained my fuel tank because of having to put it on the back of a Pickfords lorry I have found having re fueled and used various various vacuum's to get the fuel flowing again that I got it started! much to my surprise lol..

However, having stood in my garage for a day that it smelt very strongly of fuel. Upon inspection I've found that there is a v slow drip leak from what I think is where a breather pipe is supposed to fit!? There's nothing attached to it though, worryingly?! I'm scared of riding it for fear of catching light.. The nipple that seems to be leaking is behind the reserve fuel tap underneath the tank, is this supposed to be attached to something? As it's only leaking v slowly..

Hope u can help & thanks for looking.

Regards,

Sarah..

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there,

Wondered if anyone would mind helping out an absolute amateur with a fuel leak in my 1992 xj600 diversion please?

Having drained my fuel tank because of having to put it on the back of a Pickfords lorry I have found having re fueled and used various various vacuum's to get the fuel flowing again that I got it started! much to my surprise lol..

However, having stood in my garage for a day that it smelt very strongly of fuel. Upon inspection I've found that there is a v slow drip leak from what I think is where a breather pipe is supposed to fit!? There's nothing attached to it though, worryingly?! I'm scared of riding it for fear of catching light.. The nipple that seems to be leaking is behind the reserve fuel tap underneath the tank, is this supposed to be attached to something? As it's only leaking v slowly..

Hope u can help & thanks for looking.

Regards,

Sarah..

Greetings and welcome Sarah :D

Cold be a connection for a vacuum line, if so the line will come from an inlet manifold, It shouldnt be dripping though but the tap may need repair / overhaul.

Greetings and welcome Sarah :D

Cold be a connection for a vacuum line, if so the line will come from an inlet manifold, It shouldnt be dripping though but the tap may need repair / overhaul.

IMG_0320.JPG

it's the rusty 'nipple' in the background that's leaking, any ideas what it is? Thanks v much for responding :-) x

The link to your pic doesn't seem to be working Sarah :blink:

The Divvy fuel tap has two 'nipples' :blush: , one pointing down and one pointing to the rear of the bike ?

The Divvy fuel tap has two 'nipples' :blush: , one pointing down and one pointing to the rear of the bike ?

Ok, the 'nipple' hehe, points down and has dripped fuel onto the starter motor (least I think that's what it is). Sorry for the ignorance but I'm learning..

Ok, that one is the 'breather' pipe, it should come off that nipple and basicaly it just drops down and is not connected to anything at the other end, and your right the starter motor is right below it, it may be that you've simply filled the fuel tank right to the top ?

If the breather has come off or is loose it may just be a build up of vapour and the 'drip' is very slight ? but will still smell strongly of petrol

Ok, that one is the 'breather' pipe, it should come off that nipple and basicaly it just drops down and is not connected to anything at the other end, and your right the starter motor is right below it, it may be that you've simply filled the fuel tank right to the top ?

Yes, indeed I did, however having drained the majority of the fuel off (had to as it was stinking my garage & house out :-/) there is still a little dripping out. Is it associated with the reserve tap? Would u mind me sending u my pic to your email address please? I'm not best at explaining these things I'm afraid, sorry. Better take that pipe off then, whoops!!

How embarrassing if it is just an overflow?! :-(

No need for embarassment, we gotta start somewhere and all bikes are different, most peeps have a bolt or a screw jammed into the end of the breather on these bikes to keep the precious £1.21 a litre fuel from goin anywhere :blink:

No need for embarassment, we gotta start somewhere and all bikes are different, most peeps have a bolt or a screw jammed into the end of the breather on these bikes to keep the precious £1.21 a litre fuel from goin anywhere :blink:

Not that it counts for anything but it just looked to me as though a pipe should go on it and as it's still dripping, all be it slowly, assumed it should have something on or over it. Your right £1.21 a litre is indeed precious! So just simply bung it up?

Yep there should be a pipe about 12" long on that 'nipple' and it just hangs down basicaly, you dont want fuel dripping onto the starter, the pipe leads the vapour and any excess fuel (if you over fill it) past all the sparky things :blink: and dumps it on the ground (a safer place) :) so yes it needs a pipe connected to it

Yep there should be a pipe about 12" long on that 'nipple' and it just hangs down basicaly, you dont want fuel dripping onto the starter, the pipe leads the vapour and any excess fuel (if you over fill it) past all the sparky things :blink: and dumps it on the ground (a safer place) :) so yes it needs a pipe connected to it

Arrrrhaaa right I'm with you now, it does seem rather alot to just be access fuel and still be leaking having only half filled the tank? Still I did have to drain it to enable me to put it in the Pickfords lorry when moving recently. I shall get myself on eBay and buy some piping see how it goes. Many thanks For all your help. I may be bk with more cryptic question :-)

ok no probs, a pic would be good tho', the pipe might be still there, its hard to see as theres lots of 'stuff' in that area and its all crammed in :blink:

ok no probs, a pic would be good tho', the pipe might be still there, its hard to see as theres lots of 'stuff' in that area and its all crammed in :blink:

My iPhone doesn't seem happy about pasting the phot on this forum for some reason. Is there somewhere I can put it so u can see it?

My iPhone doesn't seem happy about pasting the phot on this forum for some reason. Is there somewhere I can put it so u can see it?

68d98bd2.jpg

right, well Sarah, the fuel tap looks brand new so I'm guessing the previous owner had the same problem-fuel leak, the tank breather nipple looks rusty, so I'm guessing that the tank needs taken off the bike and properly repaired/sealed at this nipple, there are products out there to do this, but if I were you I'd get someone local (who knows what they're doing)to help you out, there is a potential for a fire here, and your better safe than sorry :huh:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online