mcn

N_Tart
This post is 7257 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I reckon after a length of time they should at least have to take/retake the CBT, even if they don't test. A lot of accidents are caused by blokes who haven't ridden for 10 years then jump on an R1 and think they're the dogs bollox.

you know something darren, that's the smartest thing you've said yet 8) getting these guys to atleast do a cbt after a long break would be a great idea. there is refresher courses available but most dont bother :roll:

you know something darren, that's the smartest thing you've said yet

Oh no :shock: You don't think you guys are rubbing off on me do you :?:

there is refresher courses available but most dont bother

I think the biggest reason for that (apart from laziness) is the cost of some of these courses :roll:

I think they should be made to take a refresher course but tbh I don't think it would hurt for us either! My mate would have been a prime example of a born again if I hadn't stepped in. He was determined when he came back to get an R1. So I gave him the keys to mine after 10 mins he came back pale and sweaty and bought a bandit 600! :lol::lol:

Impossible to enforce though.

You could buy a C50 for £100, tax and insure it for about £50 a year, then just store it in a garage for 10 years.

After 10 years you've got a bike ownership record and a full no claims.

Sorted! 8)

Impossible to enforce though.

You could buy a an C50 for £100, tax and insure it for about £50 a year, then just store it in a garage for 10 years.

After 10 years you've got a bike ownership record and a full no claims.

Sorted!  8)

Do insurance look into crash records or just No Claims? Because I haven't claimed of my insurance, but will they know I crashed?

There are guys actually doing that to maintain their NCB.

Necessary to do though if you're over 60....cos unless you can produce a current policy relating to bikes, you won't get insurance at all when you pass 70.

There are guys actually doing that to maintain their NCB.

Necessary to do though if you're over 60....cos unless you can produce a current policy relating to bikes, you won't get insurance at all when you pass 70.

Other guys aswell??? :lol::lol:

born agains being retested.  What do you think?www.motorcyclenews.com

I think that every biker should have an observed ride with a police rider once every two years.

I have done a couple. They are really useful. These boys really know how to ride fast and safe. If you take on board their comments and criticisms your riding benefits for a long time afterwards - then sploppy habits creep in.

I also think that all bikes of 100 bhp+ should only be ridden by riders who have passed an advanced riding examination.

If biker organisations volunteered to do these kinds of things, we may just head off the draconian restrictions that I think will soon be imposed upon all of the biking world.

Blimey XTAlan we actually agree on something!! I have done my advance test by the way.

It's frightening the way you keep echoing things I've said in the past Alan!  :shock:

It's because we started our biking lives in the 60s, the start of the Japanese conquest. Bikes were our only transport (rich kids had cars)and I spent ALL my money on bikes. Every year there were seriously cool and innovative bikes coming out of Japan. Younger riders can never realise quite how excited we got when the first C72 Honda arrived, or the first RDs, 750 and 500 Fours, Z1s, not to mention the Suzuki and Kawasaki triples. They simply blew the Brit Bikes away. The current market is bland and tame in comparison.

People like you and I are also survivors. The early Superbikes were really dangerous. For example: the 750 and 500 Kawa Triples were absolutely evil and staying on one without crashing was nigh on impossible. All the technology was in the engines. Just look at the tyres we used to ride around on - thin, hard. Compared to today the brakes were a joke and to get a peg down on those bikes was quite something. Even the worst bikes today can be flung on their ears without a second thought. Only in the last 15 years have the Japanese got the hang of frame design. The younger generation will never know just how much skill it took to hustle these wobbly beauties along.

It's because we started our biking lives in the 60s,

71 for me Alan...I'm considerably younger than you! :roll:

FWIW....I've always reckoned that the Kwak triples weren't as dangerous as folklore would have it.

I had a 400 and a 500, and they didn't handle particularly well that's true....but they never felt dangerous.

Now the Suzuki triples....they were extremely nasty. I had 2 x 380, 1 x 550, and 2 x 750. I hit the deck on one of the 380's and one of the 750's...both down to the evil handling. The 750 incident was a 110mph tank slapper.

AND it was the Golden Age of racing: Hailwood, Read, Agostini, Ivy, Redman, Bryans, Ceccotto, Nieto (the original), Cooper (the eyes), Ballington, Minter, Saarinen etc etc. The level of competition puts todays GPs in the shade - Apart from Rossi, Gibernau and Biaggi who is there? It is all very thin. Then the Yanky flat trackers arrived and blew us away in the Trans Am races. The second golden age: Roberts, Chandler, Spencer, Lawson, Rainey, Schwantz and then Gardner and Doohan and then .........

AND there was a real open contest between manufacturers. None of this handicapping of the strokers. Honda went to huge extremes keeping the 4 strokes on the pace. 50cc bikes that revved to 24,000 and had 14 speed gearboxes. Their 250 Six was just fabulous. Suzukis Square 4 strokers, the MV Triples etc. Simply brilliant!

The result? Today's multi cylinder superbikes

If you boys are gonna start reminiscing perhaps you'd like to tell us some of your less than perfect moments and the lessons you learned? :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online