2007 Yamaha R1 wont start up ..please help

Pterodactyl
This post is 4845 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

I am new to this forum..Just got myself a used 2007 Yamaha R1 with 2700 miles (Bone stock) on it.When I got it, the seller told me that he had not ridden the bike for a while (3-4 weeks) and hence he said that the battery might not be charged well(he had it in a trickle charger). I trusted him and I got the bike. I had to ride the bike for like one hour before I stopped at a gas station. I cranked the bike then and it started instantly. Then I rode it for another 40 minutes to an ice cream shop and then when I hit the start button the starter motor would try to crank the engine but the engine wont start. My display and lights go off and then once I release the start button they come back on again. When the key is in "ON"position and if I don't press the start button all the lights and the dashboard info are clearly visible.I was able to start the bike by jumping it from my car and it fired up instantly on two separate occasions.

Now for my questions...

1. Is my battery real bad. I mean I rode it for an couple of hours and it did start the bike once without any issues.

2. I am hoping that is there is nothing seriously wrong with the bike :-(.

I am looking for some help guys ...please help me out... I am not too technically strong but I am worried that I got a bad bike or something.

Thanks in advance.

Pterodactyl!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Really sounds like just a shaged battery,------2007 bike with just 2700 miles so the bike hasnt been used much and i bet that is the origional battery.

Battery has probably been left uncharged for too long and now it wont hold any charge.

Get a new one, charge it up fully and your probs should go away.

just a we note------ every battery looses 1% of its charge everyday if it is not being used.

Oh and Welcome to the YOC cool.gif

+1 on the battery, I bet once you get a new one you won't have any problems, and make sure you ride the bike more then the previous owner. 2700 miles in 3 years is way too little.

Yep, battery.

If that doesn't work then you can look at the charging or regulator/rectifier.But the average life of a battery (without constant/daily use or optimate-type-constant-charge-thingy) is only around 2 years anyway, so it's due one!

Yep, battery.

If that doesn't work then you can look at the charging or regulator/rectifier.But the average life of a battery (without constant/daily use or optimate-type-constant-charge-thingy) is only around 2 years anyway, so it's due one!

Thank you soo much for the help guys... this forum rocks...so much help!!. The cheapest battery for a 2007 R1 is 159???. Isin't that rather expensive??. Any other sources to buy one???...any help is much appreciated again..

Thanks in advance

Pterodactyl!!

Thank you soo much for the help guys... this forum rocks...so much help!!. The cheapest battery for a 2007 R1 is 159???. Isin't that rather expensive??. Any other sources to buy one???...any help is much appreciated again..

Thanks in advance

Pterodactyl!!

£159.00 think you have been mis quoted or there ripping you off, just had a quick look on ebay £65.00 plus free P&P

My link

£159.00 think you have been mis quoted or there ripping you off, just had a quick look on ebay £65.00 plus free P&P

My link

Thanks... I was quoting 159 dollars (US). Also I just found a battery for 55 US dollars at

http://www.batterymart.com/p-YTZ10S-BS-AGM-Maintenance-Free-Battery.html#ReviewHeader

Is this a good one... anyone tried this before??. I am seeing that lots of people are having problems with the 2007 R1 battery???. What is the fix for this???.

I just want to get a good battery and be done with it.

Thanks in advance.

• 7 months later...

Thanks... I was quoting 159 dollars (US). Also I just found a battery for 55 US dollars at

http://www.batterymart.com/p-YTZ10S-BS-AGM-Maintenance-Free-Battery.html#ReviewHeader

Is this a good one... anyone tried this before??. I am seeing that lots of people are having problems with the 2007 R1 battery???. What is the fix for this???.

I just want to get a good battery and be done with it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I am also having a similar problem. I thought it was the battery and I bought a new one, and the problem didn't go away. The lights come on on the dash, go off when I try starting, and come back on afterwards. When I hit the ignition switch, there seems to be a buzzing sound, but it is not cranking. I first started noticing this many months ago. One day I tried starting my bike and nothing. I tried and tried, but I think I had to jump start it. After that the problem seemed to go away. It was not until recently that I noticed that the bike was having more trouble to start. I kept riding home, pulled up to a gas station to get gas, but my bike wouldn't start; so I jumped it and went home. Now the bike isn't starting anymore even with a new battery. I think you might be having a similar problem, but I am not sure. I will probably take my bike to the dealer at this point. If anyone might have an idea to my bike's problem, I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am also having a similar problem. I thought it was the battery and I bought a new one, and the problem didn't go away. The lights come on on the dash, go off when I try starting, and come back on afterwards. When I hit the ignition switch, there seems to be a buzzing sound, but it is not cranking. I first started noticing this many months ago. One day I tried starting my bike and nothing. I tried and tried, but I think I had to jump start it. After that the problem seemed to go away. It was not until recently that I noticed that the bike was having more trouble to start. I kept riding home, pulled up to a gas station to get gas, but my bike wouldn't start; so I jumped it and went home. Now the bike isn't starting anymore even with a new battery. I think you might be having a similar problem, but I am not sure. I will probably take my bike to the dealer at this point. If anyone might have an idea to my bike's problem, I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Jack

I am sorry that you are having such problems. I changed the battery and it fixed the problem. Apparently the 07/08 models drink the juice off the battery. In your case as you explained could be a wiring issue or something of the like. Hopefully it gets resolved at the dealer. Let me know what you find. Thank.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online