Engine vibes

CraigDayna
This post is 5263 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

Now that I've got a bit more used to newly aquired XJ600 after my 20 years retirement, I've been giving her a bit more jip round the windy bends.

I've noticed I get a tingly vibe around the 5-6000k mark and the performance drops off if I go much higher.

In real terms it's not a drag 'cos that still gives me a healthy 80-90mph on the straight and plenty to of pulling power under this to play with. But there's no real power-band as such. (Yes, I know it's an XJ, they weren't built with one. Old joke still very funny).

I'm reluctant to set about a carb strip and valve check while the weather is so good, but if I take it to a rolling road dyno centre will it give me an indication as to which of these two problems it could be? I'll set about the work on a rainy weekend.

Cheers for any help.

(PS Also a tricky starter sometimes)

Craig

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Check and adjust your chain, bet the vibe has moved to a different RPM , just get used to it-its a Divvy B)

another thing that causes vibe is the exhaust/downpipe union

Get yourself a carb balancer gauge set, sometimes called synchronising or sync...ing, bad vibes can occur if the carbs are not in 'harmony' with each other ;)

Thanks for that Mr Old Git. :0)

I think I'll get the dyno centre to do the balance and check. Will be cheaper than buying a set for myself I think. I just didn't want to start fiddling with cam shims and all that malarky.

The bike has a Micron 4:1 which looks like it's off a different bike as the brackets are a bodge. It doesn't leak and sounds nice, but could that have messed with carburation if it's not matched to the right engine? Am I right?

Cheers,

Craig

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online