Oil seeping through top of crankcase (center gasket)

Dt_pete
This post is 5265 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi i was driving to sainsburys last nite to get some munch, pulled up outside and seen oil pouring out of my dt 125r

later found out that it was coming from the top of the crankcase, from where the cases both meet. How did this happen and how can it be prevented? New seals or something

Cheers guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So you are saying oil came out the TOP.

Next immediate question, how much 'oil' is in the gearbox.

You should only have enough oil in there to splash the gears, its only 5/600ml. I don't know exactly. More importantly thats metal to matal with a liquid gasket joint. Its a pretty good seal and i would be very surprised if anything came out.

Are you sure its not coming from the breather or dripping onto the top case from the carb maybe?

Hi sorry its on the righthand side of the bike just by the kick start. Yea theres plenty of oil in there.

I wiped it with a cloth where i thort it was coming out of. When i kick started it you can see it coming out from between the two cases. Quite alot aswell!

Hi sorry its on the righthand side of the bike just by the kick start. Yea theres plenty of oil in there.

I wiped it with a cloth where i thort it was coming out of. When i kick started it you can see it coming out from between the two cases. Quite alot aswell!

So its the outer case joint thats leaking. Thats easier, sort of. You say there is plenty of oil in there, thats my point HOW much oil is in there. 2strokes don't need much gearbox oil. There shouldn't be enough oil in there to leak from that far up the case.

Yea i can see what your saying by there being too much oil but in the little window it is only half full. Or doesnt that matter ?? Also if it were to be a seal or such, what would it be called if i were to go into a dealership and ask for the part?? Cheers

Yea i can see what your saying by there being too much oil but in the little window it is only half full. Or doesnt that matter ?? Also if it were to be a seal or such, what would it be called if i were to go into a dealership and ask for the part?? Cheers

Fellow on here called Vez will know better (i'm more aircooled on these)but it sounds like the clutch cover gasket has failed somehow, or the cover has cracked, its not a hard job to remove to inspect provided the screws play ball.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online