What to do about a split in a downpipe?

secondratemime
This post is 5265 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey folks,

My DT125 has sounded pretty weird for the last couple of days and this morning it was a nice smoky 2-stroke start and i noticed smoking coming out from underneath the bike. Turns out theres a split in my DEP downpipe which was already fairly corroded (thanks to the previous owner, rather than me). So what can I do? Its a split rather than a hole, so can it be welded? Or is that not possible if its rusted?

Dont really want to have to buy a new downpipe because that'd be over 150 quid!

Cheers guys!

James

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

depends where the split is. normally tho exhaust don't weld up well, especially if they are corroded.

if you know someone who is handy with a welder you may be able to chop it and weld a peice in there.

depends where the split is. normally tho exhaust don't weld up well, especially if they are corroded.

I'll take a picture later, but the split is right on the seam, and its only narrow, but obivously will get bigger with use. I have the original exhaust so ill probably swap it out so i dont do anymore damage for now, but it sucks to be robbing my DT of what little performance it has!

James

welding rust just dont work, could try a patch but depending on the corrosion it might be pointless. for a quick fix try exhaust gum to block the gap then wrap it in exhaust wrap then jubilee clip it all in place might look odd but will sort it out till it corrodes beond repair.

If its on the seam you might get lucky, but you gotta have plenty of good solid metal around it or it'll fall apart (I've welded up plenty as I used to work in a bike shop)

I think you would be lucky as DEP pies are very thin. You may have to buy another. If you go down the welding avenue then be prepared to bin it if it doesnt work, find a good welder and dont blame them if it doesnt work ;)

Yeah, its screwed anyways, so if it has to be binned, its not the end of the world. I've just stuck the original downpipe back on and kept the DEP silencer on for now. This thing is slow as hell now, didnt realise how much the DEP was helping it along. Roll on the new bike!

James

Yeah, its screwed anyways, so if it has to be binned, its not the end of the world. I've just stuck the original downpipe back on and kept the DEP silencer on for now. This thing is slow as hell now, didnt realise how much the DEP was helping it along. Roll on the new bike!

James

It shouldnt be all that slow ! is it a DTR or a DTRE ?

If its a DTR then has the restrictor been removed from the header?

It shouldnt be all that slow ! is it a DTR or a DTRE ?

If its a DTR then has the restrictor been removed from the header?

Its an '01 DT-R and judging by the state of the downpipe, the DEP has been on there a long long time, so i doubt the restriction in the original was ever removed. Dont you have to cut it open to remove it though?

James

Dont you have to cut it open to remove it though?

James

Hody James !

No is the answer to your question.

Check out OGit's topic on Derestriction my DT 125r in Dual sports/off road bikes cool.gif

I dont think the DEP will take well to welding, i had an aftermarket exhaust welded once and was told the metal was too thin and the welder just put another hole in when trying to patch it up because the metal was too corroded? IMO save your time and dont bother trying to repair it as it will most likely split again in the same place.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online