need help identifying the year of my yz490

This post is 5240 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey there I just received a yz490 from my cuz for free and to say it needs a little work is an understatement. First off i need help identifying what year it is so i can start getting it back together and buying parts for it. I want to do a full on resto onto it, also any info on getting parts since they are hard to find for some reason. Hopefully be able to get pics up soon. Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Alright as soon as i can get them i will put them up the only problem is that he "fixed" the frame cuz it was cracked and painted it black and never covered anything up so the frame #s might be hard to get. Also the bike is at my parents house since i dont have a shop where i live :( kinda sux. He says its either an 85 or an 87 is there much difference between the two years, or will the parts interchange?