OMG Dog doesn't hunt!

ubersnoofer
This post is 5271 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello again all! o/

I'm back. Working on my new 1981 Yamaha Virago XV750, i like typing the whole thing out- sounds classy :)

It's in fairly good shape for the most part, aside from someone sticking aftermarket led turn signals on it like it's a crotch rocket and the wiring needing a touch up. The problems i have are of course with the engine. I hauled it home in the back of the truck. Got it in the garage and took the tank off. Cleaned that out with some naval jelly cuz the filters were rust clogged. cleaned up the petcocks and got them operating the way their supposed to. and then i fired it up with some fresh gas. it ran, fast, then slow. 4k, 2k, 1.5k, 6k, 3k, and then die. so guy who i bought it from was a car mechanic but he attempted to rebuild the carb, so i figured he maybe didnt do a good job. i pull the carb and tear it down and everything looks great. but theres not air/fuel mixture screw in the right carb. i go out and low and behold there it is cradled in the engine block. So i go to haynes, and to clymer to see what they can tell me and they both say 'set at factory-don't fuck with it'- not very helpful since it's spring and the odds of finding a carb man in idaho with the time to look at my 29 year old yamaha withing the next six months are only slightly better than winning the lottery, but when i try to start it now it backfires and refuses.

Does anyone know how to set the depth on these air mixture screws when you don't have the original setting to go off of anymore?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer. I'm a little lost and ready to start trying random fixes :/

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online