A few Q's about the bike test

AndyDtr08
This post is 5270 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok, so i just read foamys thread about the bike test and didnt want to hijack his thread with questions so heres another one!

I've been riding on a CBT for almost 4years now, have done a repeat! I've looked on the DVLA website but all it does is confuses me!

If i take the module 1 and 2 test on my dt125re, does this mean i have to stay riding a 125 for 2 years or can i take it on the dt and then buy a restricted fazer600 ( 33bhp)?

I've also got the theory test booked. For the 29th april i think. ideally need to get the test done before july so i dont have to pay another 100 squids to get another CBT!

I just cant work out what the rules are, so if anyone has contacts that know about the modern day test, or anyone has done it recently id appreciate some insight!!!

Cheers, Andy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yep your right on the 33bhp thing Andy, take a test on a 125 and you must ride a restricted bike for a further 2 years :)

I know im not answering your post very much but anyway !

Go and get your test done and passed,,,,, you will be so much happier.

I dont understand why people ride arround on provisional licence or cbt for any longer than necessary. All you are doing is prolonging what you realy want,,,, not to mention all the bad habits a person picks up while riding arround. Do it all wheneverything is fresh in ones head that you have learnt.

Sorry if i sound like a dick and i dont mean to be.

Tis just my thaught on it all.

wink.gif

Yeah but can i ride a bike bigger than that which i do the test on. So if i want to ride a 600, do i have to do the test on a 600? or cna i do it on a 125 and ride a restricted 600 for 2 years?

I know what you mean 2wheels. The reason i havnt done it before is becacuse i did my CBT on my 16th birthday and rode a ts50 for a year. That did 30mph, downhill. My dream bike was a yamaha dt125 and i was determined to get it. I had spent my paper round money on the ts50 and had to save up for the DT by getting a part time job in sainsburys, which im still in -.-! But i got the DT ready for collection just after my 17th birthday and rode it home from the dealer in kent with 183km on the clock. I paid £2095 for the bike, suffice to say this skinted me for a while as any money coming in i had to spend on other things that id sacrificed whilst saving. So it was partly that i couldnt afford to get the test done before my 18th birthday, which is when the CBT ran out, as i was under the impression that i had to do a 5 day course followed by the test (costing £400).

The other factor was that the DT was my dream bike, and it fulfilled my expectations. It was fast and looking at it my pants wet. It does 80mph on the flat, faster enough for any 17year old, so i saw no need for doing the test before the next cbt ran out, as id be better off getting the riding experience and enjoying the DT. Now i know i can just go straight for the mod1 and 2 at a cost of less than £100, i can afford to go for it.

It's the same with the car test. Im 19 now, 20 in july and i only passed my driving test just over a month ago. I had the DT as a mode of transport to get to uni and around places, as well as a form of fun in my spare time. There was nothing pushing me to get a car. The only real reason i did it, was so i could transport kit around for uni, mainly for the Documentary im now making about the DT125, as ill need to travel to people for interviews.

I also now have incentive to get the bike test done as ive now got a girlfriend (yeah i don't know how either =P) and she really wants to go out on the back of the bike.

So theres a boring story for you! :P

Oh, and once the test is done, i expect i'll start looking at selling the DTRE to get funds for a fazer so expect a for sale post, featuring the exact bike from the following vid:

A yes now i understand a bit more.

As far as i know (not sure if it is any different over there---dout it) if you do your test on a 125 then that is the highest cc bike you can ride.

So what you should do is use the testers bike or lessons bike as long as it is over 125cc.(usualy 250) Then you can rie any size bike you want after that,--- restricted of course for 2 years.

Doing your test on a 125cc is usless in my view.

Go for a propper (A) class bike licence and be done with it.

ps. Vedio looks good ----- best of luck with it !

Hi Andy.

To answer your question, if you do your test on a 125cc motorbike then your licence will restrict you to riding a bike with a maximum of 33bhp (25kw) of power. You can ride any size bike (in terms of cc) you wish so long as you restrict it to 33bhp (or 25kw).

This should explain it: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

You need to remember that you can't ride an unrestricted larger bike (above 33bhp) until you reach 21 years old and/or two years after passing your test on a 125.

I did my test 23 months ago on a 125cc, and have been riding a restricted 1300cc bike since last August (it's restricted from 72bhp to 33bhp). The only thing to bear in mind is that resticting a bike increases your insurance (!) - put mine up by £300...

If you do go down this route, Suzuki throw in free restrictor kits on all new bikes and are offering 0% finance over 3 years on some models. You can also get restrictor kits for most bikes out there.

Even if you don't restrict a larger bike and stick with your 125, 2 years passes quicker than your think, and before you know it you'll be able to ride any bike you want unrestricted.

You should do your test as it's great to get your full licence + lose your L-plates (+ do you really want to spend another £80-100 on doing the CBT again when as you say that can pay for the test?).

Hope this helps + good luck

Graham

Hi Andy.

To answer your question, if you do your test on a 125cc motorbike then your licence will restrict you to riding a bike with a maximum of 33bhp (25kw) of power. You can ride any size bike (in terms of cc) you wish so long as you restrict it to 33bhp (or 25kw).

This should explain it: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

You need to remember that you can't ride an unrestricted larger bike (above 33bhp) until you reach 21 years old and/or two years after passing your test on a 125.

I did my test 23 months ago on a 125cc, and have been riding a restricted 1300cc bike since last August (it's restricted from 72bhp to 33bhp). The only thing to bear in mind is that resticting a bike increases your insurance (!) - put mine up by £300...

If you do go down this route, Suzuki throw in free restrictor kits on all new bikes and are offering 0% finance over 3 years on some models. You can also get restrictor kits for most bikes out there.

Even if you don't restrict a larger bike and stick with your 125, 2 years passes quicker than your think, and before you know it you'll be able to ride any bike you want unrestricted.

You should do your test as it's great to get your full licence + lose your L-plates (+ do you really want to spend another £80-100 on doing the CBT again when as you say that can pay for the test?).

Hope this helps + good luck

Graham

Thats fantastic, i couldnt seem to find that when i looked before. It just kept coming up with similar pages that were confusing to say the least. Thanks, ill get the theory test done and then book the mod 1 and 2 as soon as i can.

Does anyone have any advice for the practical? Ive found a few videos on youtube of how the 2 modules work and they seem pretty self explanitory, but if anyone thinks of anything that they feel is useful to remember, or things not to do, id appreciate the unput!

Thanks again, just been out on the back of my Dads kettle as my Dt is a bit "loud" at present, to ride on the road, and its just spurred me on more to get my act into gear!

Bring on the summer!

• Who's Online (See full list)