XJ600 turns over, but no spark, also a bobbing rev counter

Mike Legdon
This post is 5118 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The speedo gearing has gone on my xj600n (97) so Monday I popped it up on the paddock stands took the front wheel off, removed the gearing then found out that it was the wrong one, put it all back together again then came to put it back up the drive and it wouldn't start?

The bike turns over, the battery is fine, all lights work, all fuses are fine but no spark? the strange thing is that when in neutral and the ignition is on, every 5 seconds the rev counter goes up yo 2K for 2 seconds then drops back down again?

I had the AA out to it this afternoon and he couldn't find anything, so unless I can sort it, I will have to get them to take it to my local Yamaha dealer (ouch).

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Try these Mike

1st disconnect the battery for 10 mins, theres something from memory tells me this 'might' re-set the CDI,

your bike may not have this but have a look anyway

2nd On the left hand end of the bank of carbs (left if your sitting on the bike) you will see a black cylindrical object with a connector coming out of it. With the ignition switched OFF disconnect the connector.

Then switch the ignition ON (do not start the bike) and you will see the rev counter shoot round to 10,00rpm then back to zero this is normal. It`s just telling you that the TPS isn`t connected.

While the ignition is switched ON reconnect the TPS connector you are now in the TPS diagnostic mode and the reading on the rev counter should be 5,000 to 5,5000.

If it is 0 or 10,000 you will need a special screw driver (Ahaaaaaaa !) to undo the screws that hold the TPS onto the carbs. Just slacken them and turn the TPS slightly one way or the other to get the correct reading. When you tighten them back up make sure the reading dosn`t go out.

When you are satisfied that the reading is correct just switch the ignition off and you will leave diag mode and be back to normal.

That`s it you have just checked and adjusted if needed the TPS.

:)

Thanks for that,

Battery disconnect didn't work :(

Removing the plug from the TPS made the speedo jump up to 3k, when I plugged it back in it held at a steady 5.5k?

The yamaha garage told me that the speedo jumping to 2k was an error code, but "the download was taking a long time" so he couldn't tell me what it meant.

Time to start surfing for the error codes.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online