XS400SH

2wheel newbie
This post is 5273 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Now that I got the bike running, I gave back the keys, and now it stalls out while the owner is riding, both at idle and when he's accelerating. The voltage is 12.5 to 11.9 volts and it stays at that range no matter what RPMs the engine is at. When it was idling, I saw the RPMS slowly drop untill it died.I've checked the rectifier (diodes were good), the stator and the field exiter with my ohmmeter (both within the specs the Haynes manual said). The only thing I didn't check is the Voltage regulator (manual didn't give any specs). I'm really sure it's bad,and will be replacing it, but I'd like to know if the stalling is a symptom of a bad charging system, and would a bad voltage regulator lead to a dead TCI module?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

it could do if you have a TCI. If the voltage dips below the operating thrashold of the igintion unit it may cause the timing to drift off, or the unit to stop working althougher.

The Yamaha dealership wants $105 bucks for a new voltage regulator.

10 minutes ago, I jumped the power supply (brown wire, changes to black at the connector) of the exciter directly to the battery + terminal, no change in voltage at the battery. I tried jumping the ground wire to the battry -, but the bike just cranked, wouldn't fire. I threw it on the charger and just now tried jumping the ground and power wires to the battery, but it still wouldn't fire up. I think the battery is fried, it maybe a 'cycle battery, but it's not a deep cycle battery.

So far the owner has spent $450 for the bike itself and $285 in parts/labor for $735 total. Now the Yamaha dealership wants $105 bucks for a new voltage regulator, plus what ever a new battery costs, should I tell him to sell the bike as it is now and buy a better one? He's used to a lighter, dual purpose bike.

I'd say that was a very reasonable price for a regulator. As to if he should sell the bike I can't answer.

If you were in the UK I'd offer to test the TCI to see if it was faulty (I have a proper test rig that will run most ignitions on the bench)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online