anyone help me with an 88?

Twitchy
This post is 5281 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all, I'm new here and lookng for some help.

i have an 88 fz 600 (not fzr, just fz, no genesis head etc)

I bought it last september in pieces from a guys garage who couldn't get it back together.

yesterday I finally had it started up and revving well,

the problem is in neutral it started and revved, (it's on a swing arm stand) but when i clicked it into first to test the tranny, the back wheel started spinning, clutch pulled in and all. I have other old bikes that do this too so i stuck my foot on the tire to stop it, but it wouldnt stop so i can only think that the clutch was engaged, so i id what i could to shorten the cable and even manually held the spring loaded pull all the way so it should be disengaged. same thing.

Now i have had it since september, and moved it from chicago to phoenix (yes it spend a few months in a storage unit with no climate control), i changed the oil/filter, but i don't know how long it sat before i got to it, the guy told me he tore it down the summer of '09 but no way to confirm.

I was reading my manual and it tells me the clutch plates could be warped (or steel rings) that keep it engaged and keep the wheel turning.

before i go tearing into the clutch, I was hoping for other ideas. also it should be known that the clutch pull is very easy, usually there is a good grasp needed (my other bikes need a firm hand) but this is less than half the effort needed. could that be something? it is a new clutch cable (old was rusted and stuck)

I appreciate any help

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey all, I'm new here and lookng for some help.

i have an 88 fz 600 (not fzr, just fz, no genesis head etc)

I bought it last september in pieces from a guys garage who couldn't get it back together.

yesterday I finally had it started up and revving well,

the problem is in neutral it started and revved, (it's on a swing arm stand) but when i clicked it into first to test the tranny, the back wheel started spinning, clutch pulled in and all. I have other old bikes that do this too so i stuck my foot on the tire to stop it, but it wouldnt stop so i can only think that the clutch was engaged, so i id what i could to shorten the cable and even manually held the spring loaded pull all the way so it should be disengaged. same thing.

Now i have had it since september, and moved it from chicago to phoenix (yes it spend a few months in a storage unit with no climate control), i changed the oil/filter, but i don't know how long it sat before i got to it, the guy told me he tore it down the summer of '09 but no way to confirm.

I was reading my manual and it tells me the clutch plates could be warped (or steel rings) that keep it engaged and keep the wheel turning.

before i go tearing into the clutch, I was hoping for other ideas. also it should be known that the clutch pull is very easy, usually there is a good grasp needed (my other bikes need a firm hand) but this is less than half the effort needed. could that be something? it is a new clutch cable (old was rusted and stuck)

I appreciate any help

thanks

Easy one this mate ..if the bike has been stood for that long the clutch plates will be gummed up and sticking (especially if it was left with old oil in the engine) the FZ600 is the same motor as the old XJ600 so a clutch stripdown is a very simple job .. get yourself some new friction plates and clean the old slipper plates (the metal ones) ..reassemble and problem should be solved ..... btw if there is a rattle from the clutch side of the engine that goes away when the clutch is pulled in .. dont worry about it is just a slightly worn clutch basket and doesn't affect the engine at all (my old XJ had this problem and ran happily for thousands of miles)

hope this helps

JD :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online