Help PLEASE bike is dying :(

bertbuckie
This post is 5277 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there.....yet again Im in need of help :(

I took my DTr 50 supermotard out yesterday and the oil light was on. I looked in the 2-stroke mix tank tand there was plenty, and it seemed to go down after Id used the bike.

She felt VERY slow, ( even slower than normal - struggling to hit 30mph on the flats and wont even go over 30 down hill - she used to go 50mph down hill :( ) and couldnt even pull me up small hills. I took out the plug which was black and cleaned it up but it made no difference so I have ordered an ngk iridium one.

I also took the exhaust silencer apart and cleaned it and the same with the air filter but still made no difference :(

Im new to bike servicing ect but I am unsure about the oil light ( which does go off when shes actually moving )because theres no sump ect in a 2 stroke as far as im awair....

Please someone give me some pointers....Im afraid she`s going to die or I will do more damage by running her :(

.... on the plus side as I rode along at 20ish mph lots of real bikers waved and about 5 actually stopped for a chat with me :) - I was shocked they didnt take the piss of my 50 either :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I forgot to say..... I presumed the oil light comming on at startup was normal if the bike had sat a week or so because it might take a few mins to ger the oil through the system?

anyhow...better go look busy Im supposed to be working lol

Bert

Hi Bert. The oil light on these 2 stroke bikes works simply from a level switch in the oil tank and they light up when the level is low.

However if the indicator bulb had blown you wouldnt then know that the oil level is low, so to get around this the manufacturer makes the wiring so that the light is also on when the bike is in neutral so this is only a bulb check facility, you must ALWAYS expect to see the lamp when in neutral and can then rest assured that it will work when the level is low.

As for the rest of your dilemma is sounds as if your bike may need a service, possibly a de-coke but thats just speculating on my part. :huh:

Hi Bert. The oil light on these 2 stroke bikes works simply from a level switch in the oil tank and they light up when the level is low.

However if the indicator bulb had blown you wouldnt then know that the oil level is low, so to get around this the manufacturer makes the wiring so that the light is also on when the bike is in neutral so this is only a bulb check facility, you must ALWAYS expect to see the lamp when in neutral and can then rest assured that it will work when the level is low.

As for the rest of your dilemma is sounds as if your bike may need a service, possibly a de-coke but thats just speculating on my part. :huh:

Thanks oldgit :)

I got impatient and stripped the bike today.......lol

took off exhaust, plastics, petrol tank, cylinder head, carb.

I found a dodgy seal on the carb and reseated it properly ( maybe air was being drawn in it? )

I cleaned the carb faces.....rest was spotless

cleaned the exhaust a bit....and removed the middle bit on the silencer ( sounds fractionally louder )

de-restricted the air filter housing.

checked all fuel / oil / water pipes were clear

before she wouldnt even pull me up a hill in 1st..... afterwards I tried and she pulled me up in 3rd :)

Perhaps just luck but Im not sure.....

anyone else know anything else to check ?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online